Electronic Speed Controller No BEC in EF1

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Electronic Speed Controller No BEC in EF1

Post by RCjunkie »

Electronic Speed Controller BEC
2) Electronic Speed Controller (ESC
a. A commercially available brushless Electronic Speed Controller with a minimum of 60 amp rating shall be utilized and controlled by a separate throttle channel. The ESC cannot exceed the $150 US price cap as purchased from the designated MFG distribution channels, (not including tax and shipping).
b. Speed controller may incorporate a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) which would eliminate the need for a separate battery to power the receiver and servos.

Can I run a separate battery for the RX and not run BEC? For EF1
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: Electronic Speed Controller No BEC in EF1

Post by GaryS »

b. Speed controller may incorporate a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) which would eliminate the need for a separate battery to power the receiver and servos.
Being as the rule says "may", and not "must", I'd say you can run a separate battery to power your receiver and servos.
GS
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Post by airplanescotty »

What BEC controller is working best??? Read the Castle 60 amp was getting a bit Hot....

Thanks

Scotty
QTR ~ Waste Not A Moment!!!!!
uavflyer2k
Super Contributor

Post by uavflyer2k »

Many guys are using the Castle 75 with good success.

I have used the Plush 80 from HK and it is very good.

I changed to the Castle 100 (Edge Lite) to get data logging and on the theory that more switching transistors in parallel lower the "on" resistance. It is only 15 Bucks more than the 75 and weighs less than a half ounce more. After a race it is only up to around 140 Deg. without any special attempts at cooling.

Set them all to High timing (20-30 deg). Get the programming card for the Plush if you decide on it, to make that easier (around $5). Get the USB interface for the Castle (it still comes free, i believe).

I've never had a problem with the BEC on any of these, since they are switching types.

have fun
Ted