Brodak motors

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Brodak motors

Post by ronin4740 »

Thought I'd mention that I've got two brodak ef-1 motors that I cannot get to turn faster that about 12K rpm. I've tried two different ESC's with all of the various timing settings.

A Hobby King NTM EF-1 motor with either ESC will turn 15K RPM.

I'm going to reach out to Brodak Monday and let them know about this issue. Will post the results here

Chris.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Re: Brodak motors

Post by ronin4740 »

As an update I spoke with Dennis who works with John and knows more about the motors than anyone else associated with Brodak.

He states that there are two identically shaped, sized and colored motors - 1 is 1250KV, the other is 980KV. He thinks I've gotten the wrong KV motors. I've agreed to ship back the motors and he will be letting the folks who pack the orders know to send the correct ones.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

I think this will be my final update. I received replacement motors which Brodak promised are race ready and tested as such.

Both motors turn 12K which is about 2-3K less than the Hobbyking or Great Planes approved EF-1 motors.

I am concluding that Brodak motors are no longer built to the spec once were and would request that the keepers of the rules would remove them from the approved motor list until such time they provide an additional sample set which is tested by the keepers of the rules and found to meet the listed specs for the motor (1300KV).

I'll follow this up with an email to said keepers.
jetmech2002
Super Contributor

Post by jetmech2002 »

It is unfortunate, but I agree. If it no longer meets the spec, it needs to be removed. Typical chinese quality control. They were a very competitive motor.
MLH
Super Contributor

Post by MLH »

If you remove them from the approved list then everyone that has one can not use it. I think a note should be placed on the approved list to explain that the new Brodak motors do not meet the requirements. This will allow those that own one of the earlier motors to continue to use it.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Please be patient with Brodak. I am confident all of the issues will be sorted out shortly.

As soon as I have an update I will post it here.

Chris please send me a PM I will get you in contact with the correct people to help you.

Dan
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

PM Sent.
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

All: Below is a letter I received from John Brodak regarding the recent motor issue identified above. If you have one of these motors please contact Brodak for an exchange.

"Brodak Manufacturing discovered a mix-up which resulted in Brodak receiving 100 motors incorrectly inventoried as EF-1 motors. However these motors were built with KV=920 instead of the racing version EF-1 KV=1300 that was ordered. Brodak shipped 14 motors before the problem was discovered, and 10 of those remain unrecovered.

The motors in question were shipped in the roughly March, 2014 through June, 2014 time frame before the problem was discovered. If you ordered a Brodak EF-1 motor in this time frame there is a pretty simple way to determine whether it is correct - also look at the attached pictures:

* The box label says "KV=1300" and also says "Approved for EF-1"
* The motor label includes the note: "Approved for EF-1"

If you purchased an EF-1 motor (Stock number BH-1834) from Brodak and the labeling does NOT match the above then please return it to Brodak for an exchange.

Brodak Manufacturing is also pleased to announce that we have received a new supply of motors with the correct KV=1300 and they are ready for shipment.

Your friend in Aeromodeling,

John Brodak
Brodak Manufacturing"
Attachments
EF1_MotorLabel.jpg
EF1_BoxLabel.jpg
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

I wanted to thank Dan Kane and Dennis Adamisin for listening to my issue, for talking with Brodak on my behalf and for helping me to finally receive two motors which are the right wind.

I consider the matter closed to my satisfaction and retract my request that Brodak Aerowinds be removed from the approved motor list.

Thanks again,

Chris Nenzel