Motor Question

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: Motor Question

Post by GaryS »

Forgive me Kevin for I have sinned...I forgot to include "from other than the original manufacturer" on my post about pistons. However, I did say "having one made", which most people would realize that we don't have Jett or Langlois make pistons to order for us individually, and therefore would figure I was referring to a third party vendor.

How hard does something have to get beat upside your head before you realize that NO, you can't disassemble and use non-OEM parts in an EF1 motor?
GS
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

kane wrote:For the record if someone wanted to run with an idea like this I don't have any reason to think this wouldn't work.

I drew this. This was my idea. I don't care if you copy it or sell it. I don't have a rim fire motor, I can't draw this to scale and see if it will work.

DK
This sold by Tower
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XLCL4&P=ML
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gpmg1255.jpg
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
stevem9
Super Contributor

Post by stevem9 »

I have a question reguarding this topic. I understand the fact that you can't replace bearings and the motor shafts, but "if" something was to happen to the motor such as a crash/midair or what not and the bearing or shaft is bad the motor is now garbage? Is it something the manufactures can replace/repair?

I get the we as an individual can not, I accept that its the rules and it is what it is. rules are rules. Just asking an honest question.
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

You have revived the evil motor shaft post! ......I have had so much trauma in my life in the last year, I almost forgot about this one......LOL. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will roll the dice and answer, then wait and see what happens..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My WAG: as long is they are OEM parts, put back to the original configuration, you are OK. If OEM part(s) are not available, then I think you are out of luck.....

Flame suit on..........

Dave
Last edited by Dave Yost on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevem9
Super Contributor

Post by stevem9 »

Dave Yost wrote:You have revived the evil motor shaft post! ......I have had so much trauma in my life in the last year, I almost forgot about this one......LOL. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will roll the dice and answer, then wait and see what happens..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My WAG: as long is they are OEM parts, put back to the original configuration, you are OK. If OEM part are not available, then I think you are out of luck.....

Flame suit on..........

Dave
sorry didn't mean to drag up old stuff. ok, I did that with a eflite motor, just ordered the Eflite shaft and bearings. i just want to make sure I'm following the rules
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

I think you are fine, But don't take it from me....I am wrong more then I am right on this website!!!......LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Am pretty sure that as long as you use the manufacturers parts you can indeed replace the shaft and/or bearings.

Problem is that some of the manufacturers (GreatPlanes/Rimfire and Brodak) don't make these parts available. If you bend a shaft or have a bearing go bad then it can't be used for EF1 racing after you replace the failed part with a non-OEM part.
RSmith
Super Contributor

Post by RSmith »

[Re-posted from RC Groups]
Here is what the rule says:
The motor shall be commercially available and in stock configuration as provided by the manufacturer and not modified in any way other than the addition or substitution of items identified in (d) below.

d. The following items are not considered part of the motor and may be substituted as desired:
(i) Connectors for electronic speed control
(ii) Drive washer or collets
(iii) Mounting hardware
(iv) Propeller nut
(v) Propeller washer
(vi) Spinner (subject to IV (C)(6) above)

The way I interpret the rule is that NO PARTS can be replaced on the motor if they are not listed in d). Bearings and motor shaft are not in the list. So the case of a bent shaft or bad bearings means you are SOL. There is no distinction made between OEM or non-OEM parts. If it's not in the list, it cannot be replaced.

Randy
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Randy is 100% correct. You CANNOT replace any bearings (THIS MEANS OEM OR NON OEM). You CANNOT replace the motor shaft (THIS MEANS WITH MATERIAL YOU PURCHASED AT MCMASTER CARR OR OEM). You CANNOT take your motor apart to turn the shaft around.

Why? Because that is the rule. It doesn't matter that nobody can tell, It doesn't matter that you did this two years ago, it is still not allowed.

The NMPRA is having a behind the scenes discussion to see if this stance should change. As of right now no decision has been made. When a decision is made I will update everyone.

DK
edh-13
Super Contributor

Post by edh-13 »

kane wrote:Randy is 100% correct. You CANNOT replace any bearings (THIS MEANS OEM OR NON OEM). You CANNOT replace the motor shaft (THIS MEANS WITH MATERIAL YOU PURCHASED AT MCMASTER CARR OR OEM). You CANNOT take your motor apart to turn the shaft around.

Why? Because that is the rule. It doesn't matter that nobody can tell, It doesn't matter that you did this two years ago, it is still not allowed.

The NMPRA is having a behind the scenes discussion to see if this stance should change. As of right now no decision has been made. When a decision is made I will update everyone.

DK

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I may be a rookie to EF1 but I've been heavily involved with spec class motorsports for 30 years. The way the rule currently reads there is absolutely no reason you can't return a motor to STOCK CONFIGURATION. If the intent of the rule was to keep the motors "as delivered" or "untouched" from the manufacturer, use THAT language.

And if the intent was to keep the engines as delivered with no relief for repair, than I don't know if this class was all I hoped it would be.
Eric Huffman
25D
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

edh-13 wrote:
kane wrote:Randy is 100% correct. You CANNOT replace any bearings (THIS MEANS OEM OR NON OEM). You CANNOT replace the motor shaft (THIS MEANS WITH MATERIAL YOU PURCHASED AT MCMASTER CARR OR OEM). You CANNOT take your motor apart to turn the shaft around.

DK

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I may be a rookie to EF1 but I've been heavily involved with spec class motorsports for 30 years. The way the rule currently reads there is absolutely no reason you can't return a motor to STOCK CONFIGURATION. If the intent of the rule was to keep the motors "as delivered" or "untouched" from the manufacturer, use THAT language.

And if the intent was to keep the engines as delivered with no relief for repair, than I don't know if this class was all I hoped it would be.
Eric Huffman
25D

Eric,

The intention was to not allow the motors to be opened up. Both the written word and the intention of the rule must be adhered to. I have explained both. I am sorry you feel this class won't be what you want, because we tell you not to open up your motors.

BTW, some motors on the approved list do not have any spare parts.

We want this event to be fun and easy. AS stated above we are looking at possibly modifying this rule and I will post something once a decision is made.

DK
stevem9
Super Contributor

Post by stevem9 »

DK
Thanks Dan, just wanted to be clear. Rules are rules and like I said I good with that. making sure I'm in accordance with the rules
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

If you send the motor back to the manufacturer, they fix it, and send it back, then it is "in the sock configuration as provided by the manufacturer"

Correct?

Dave
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Dave Yost wrote:If you send the motor back to the manufacturer, they fix it, and send it back, then it is "in the sock configuration as provided by the manufacturer"

Correct?

Dave
Dave,

That works. Has anyone tried this?

I am really struggling with this. I can't find any OEM spare parts for any of the approved motors. This means guys would have to spec them and purchase them from other sources. I am wondering what the cost is for a set of bearing ordered from a non OEM vendor. Does anyone know?

Again this conversation isn't dead, we are still working on it behind the scenes.

DK
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

Horizon lists a replacement shaft for the Power 25 motor, but I don't see any bearings in the parts list for the EF1 motor.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.