EF-1 & Electric pylon racing in the South

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
REA2
Super Contributor

EF-1 & Electric pylon racing in the South

Post by REA2 »

I am very frustrated with the pylon racing community, especially in the south. No eF1 race at Julian last year, none at Mulberry this spring. Thank goodness there was one in Andersonville, GA this year and one at Mulberry. Don't think it's in the cards again at Mulberry though...So I build 2 q500 planes so I can race in the south this year and now 424 has an engine availability problem. Fine, I'm sure this year is ok.... But.. How do you pull friends in who can't easily find an engine? Racing will be dead in 5 years if you can't figure out how to get new blood in racing. I just got back to racing and see mostly the same faces I saw 20 years ago. Pity.
REA2
Super Contributor

Post by REA2 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again , time for electric Q500.
cbk07
Super Contributor

Post by cbk07 »

"I've said it before and I'll say it again , time for electric Q500."

YUK.....if you do it please keep it down south lol

In all seriousness, we have a handful of electric guys who have expressed a modest interest in Pylon. We have nowhere here to race 422, so our mainstay events are 424 and 426. We break 424 into Expert and Standard classes. We mix the matrix, but Standard pilots only have to fly 9 laps against an expert's 10 laps. Once a standard pilot reaches a certain breakout time 3 times (I think it is 1:20 for 9 laps) they become experts. In an effort to draw new pilots, we are going to experiment this year with allowing standards pilots only to fly a predetermined electric Q500 setup. It will be relatively inexpensive and should be close in speed to a TT setup. Hopefully this will hook them enough to jump into glow once they break into expert. Will be interesting to see how it goes
REA2
Super Contributor

Post by REA2 »

Electric is the future whether you like it or not. The old guard can cling onto nitro to the end and the sport will die...

I had no plans to race nitro again , but I am building planes and got engines together for 2015 Because I want to race!!! I've raced nitro before so I'll deal with it.

Getting a newbie to race nitro??? Problem. Hard enough to de-parkzone the guy from the crap he bought at Hobbytown USA. Let alone race nitro.
Scorpion Racing
Super Contributor

Post by Scorpion Racing »

Ron,

I am sorry you feel the way you do about racing, and that you feel a need to point your finger at me directly. As you well know, I have tried to promote EF-1 (as well as club 40) in the interest in raising participation in the "South". I had to have a minimum of 5 guys new to pylon to hold the class, and I commend you for being the only one of the 8 new guys who guaranteed they would be there to actually show up. If you can get the pilots, I will host the event in Mulberry, as I will do whatever it takes to promote new guys in racing. If the other venues see potential for a class, I bet they will follow with the class in their events. If electric is the future, than present what you think should be the platform and lets look at it. We all want new pilots to discover the joy of racing and competition and I am sure we could promote another event.

If you are willing to put out the effort to hold an event, SEMPRA (and NMPRA) are willing to provide the support to make it happen. This next event will be my 22nd regional race (along with 2 FAI USA team trials) in 11 years, and I would LOVE to come to your race to just race! :wink: What we need is promotion and support to grow racing. I am willing to support you, so what do you say?
Scott Smith
NMPRA 86t - District 7 VP
SEMPRA President
REA2
Super Contributor

Post by REA2 »

Scott you took this upon yourself to make it personal, it is not. I am not attacking you at all. You don't even know me well enough to understand where I am coming from on the topic. Sorry you feel that way.
You have done your part. The pilots didn't show. I drove 8 hours to attend your race and plan to do so again. Great set up, great race. Next time it will be 424 that's all. Please don't get offended at the point I'm making. I was grateful you took a chance to offer EF1. I just wanna race so I spent money to get ready for 424 and now we have an engine issue...long term with the engine of choice. There is no true beginner/basic class as far as I'm concerned.

No one is questioning your personal efforts to support pylon racing!

I am making valid points. Pilots in the south don't support EF1 for whatever reason and very few races for EF1 in the south. What is your opinion on it? The planes? The technical part? Why is it not catching on?
blacknoise
Contributor

Re: EF-1 & Electric pylon racing in the South

Post by blacknoise »

This is not the complete south, just Texas, but we have created a web site to track and communicate details of E-F1 races in Texas. Also, since many of us cannot make it to North Carolina to race, we have created a mini Texas Grand Prix. We are still working on getting 2015 dates up, but if anyone is interested, you can find Texas races here:

http://www.texasef1.org/
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

Give this a look for I'm working on.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5004
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I'm working with some local clubs in North Carolina to possibly have some 2 pole EF1 Racing in North Carolina in 2015.

I went to the FAPA (Flying Aces Pilots Association) club meeting on 1/8 and we talked about 2 pole pylon racing there.

I was hoping to run Club 40 or Club 46, but noise has become an issue at that field.

They have a 400' paved runway and a reasonable place for the AMA 540-B 2 pole course. 3 pole is not possible.

I showed the Outrageous EF1 and they found it interesting. One of the club leaders has a Pogo.

We also talked about RCPRO Club Wingman Racing which is raced as Club 40 or Quickie 25 under the 540-B document.

I will be continuing to pursue interest and more clubs for participation this spring.