Approved list up to date?

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Approved list up to date?

Post by ronin4740 »

Is this list up to date?

http://www.nmpra.net/EF1Approved.htm

If not would the maintainers of the rules go through it and modify it so that is shows the approved airframes, motors and other items please?

Thanks,

Chris
kane
Super Contributor

Re: Approved list up to date?

Post by kane »

Chris,

Airplane wise... the list was just updated this past week.

What is missing from this list? What item should be shown that isn't?

DK
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Dan,

It was the airplane list which concerned me when I posted.

With OS bowing out of the field for motors is there any thought to approaching another manufacturer? I think Scorpion and Cobra motors are quality items and would most likely run one of them over the other choices if they offered a motor which was tested and approved...

Thanks,

Chris
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

With regards to other mortors...

We have have tested several motors that did not meet our criteria. Scorpion early on did have a motor that we tested but it did not pass and there hasn't been anything offered since. Our current criteria is that any motor tested cannot obsolete current equipment. All of the approved motors are very close during our testing. And when something new comes along we retest all of our golden motors to the new motor.

The NMPRA has not been actively searching for motors. We initially found motors that fit into our bubble and went that route.

If anyone has contacts within the companies you mention and they want to talk about getting a motor approved my door is always open.

DK
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Interesting. I wasn't aware that a Scorpion motor was tested and am a bit surprised it didn't meet your criteria. I've run them in other planes and have always been impressed with their performance and reliability. Lucien used to be very active in the electric flight arena as well.

Could you satisfy my curiosity and let me know why the scorpion motor failed the qualification test?
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

Scorpion makes a great motor. I probably have 20 of them in various aircraft. They run a little hotter than other motors, but that is normal for Scorpion.

They seem good enough for NASA...wink wink!

http://www.nasa.gov/langley/ten-engine- ... light-test

I too would be interested on why they didn't make the grade?

Mike
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

From what I remember the motor that was tested exceeded the performance of the motors currently approved. And at the time Scorpion did not provide an updated sample.

As stated before, we cannot approve a motor that makes all others obsolete.

DK