Need a little clarification

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
w4swk

Need a little clarification

Post by w4swk »

Having watched Quickie 500 self destruct (my first racer was a Spickler 500), I will always support ideas that prevent the same from happening to EF1. I would however, ask for some input as to what flexibility is allowed in the rules. If I draw my own plans and scratch build a racer that complies with the "replica rule" AND complies with all airframe and powerplant requirements yet is not on the "list", will I be OK to race?

Thanks
Ken
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Re: Need a little clarification

Post by ronin4740 »

Ken,

I'm sure Dan will be around in a minute or two to answer the question. But until then I'll try - I believe the answer is that as long as the airframe complies with the rules listed here and that the plans are made available to others then you can request that your model be approved for racing in EF1.

Once approved then you're good to go. You don't have to provide kits, just the plans.

But I'd wait for Dan or one of the other governing members to confirm this.

Chris
w4swk

Post by w4swk »

Hi Chris
Thanks for the post! I hope that it will be as simple as what you make mention of. As you can tell from my original post, I'm not wanting to do anything to "stretch" or "circumvent" the rules. I am excited to think that I can get back into racing in a class that may not get "distorted"! Actually, the airplane that I would like to replicate is a Cassutt (the old one with constant chord). I know I would be building the slowest racer in the world, but it is a nostalgic thing with me. After all, SOMEBODY has to show up and be last... :D

Thanks again
Ken
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

w4swk wrote:Having watched Quickie 500 self destruct (my first racer was a Spickler 500), I will always support ideas that prevent the same from happening to EF1. I would however, ask for some input as to what flexibility is allowed in the rules. If I draw my own plans and scratch build a racer that complies with the "replica rule" AND complies with all airframe and powerplant requirements yet is not on the "list", will I be OK to race?

Thanks
Ken
Ken,

What Chris has written below is correct.

You must supply drawings, including cross sections with dimensions to the NMPRA for approval. If your design is approved, all you will need to do is meet the rules regarding commercially available plans.

Regards,

DK
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

w4swk wrote:Hi Chris
Thanks for the post! I hope that it will be as simple as what you make mention of. As you can tell from my original post, I'm not wanting to do anything to "stretch" or "circumvent" the rules. I am excited to think that I can get back into racing in a class that may not get "distorted"! Actually, the airplane that I would like to replicate is a Cassutt (the old one with constant chord). I know I would be building the slowest racer in the world, but it is a nostalgic thing with me. After all, SOMEBODY has to show up and be last... :D

Thanks again
Ken
Ken,

I do that all the time (show up and place last) but what matters to me is that I have fun doing it :) Heck, if you build it light you might surprise yourself!

Glad that my response was accurate. Avoid the pylons!

Chris
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

ronin4740 wrote:Avoid the pylons!

Chris
But not by too much! :)
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

...but by a bit more than this :)
Attachments
Invictus.jpg
w4swk

Post by w4swk »

I haven't raced in a number of years but I'm beginning to see that not much has changed! 8)