EFlite 60 esc....caution

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
cpaine
Super Contributor

EFlite 60 esc....caution

Post by cpaine »

we got to some EF1 racing up here in Ontario. I was having a pretty good day, and i was flying some fast times, but in my last heat, about 7 laps in the motor just quit. Luckily i run a separate RX pack, and i could land. The solder on the power connection (esc side) melted... actually welded the 2 eflite plastic connectors together.
bad luck on my part? is the esc not doing its job, and getting to hot? should i fix or throw it out??
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Re: EFlite 60 esc....caution

Post by fizzwater2 »

I'd be hesitant to use it after fixing it - without knowing why the solder melted in the first place. It was either a bad solder joint, or the wire size wasn't up to the task..

Not that it means much, but I've been using Castle Ice Lite or Edge 75A controllers, no issues yet.
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
uavflyer2k
Super Contributor

Post by uavflyer2k »

Had this happen to a friend, using a XT60 connector that was a little "LOOSE" there was enough heat generated to melt the plastic and fuse the connector such that we had to cut the wires to disconnect it.

If it was "only" the connectors, I would just put a new connector on being sure that the solder was perfect.

I have since changed to the Deans "T" stile connectors and had no problems - some are using larger connectors.

There are others using this ESC without problems, so suspect it's just a production error.

The cause is the heat generated by the high resistance of a loose connector or bad solder joint just gets worse as it gets hotter, this is known as "thermal runaway" by us electronics engineers. Even if it doesn't cause a break in the circuit it is using power that you would rather be going to the motor/prop :lol:

I just use the ESC for power so wouldn't have been as lucky as you! Looks like you now have what we call a FREE AIRPLANE.
cpaine
Super Contributor

Post by cpaine »

thanks a lot guys. looks like i will be upgrading to bigger connections! it makes total sense
fizzwater2 wrote:The cause is the heat generated by the high resistance of a loose connector or bad solder joint just gets worse as it gets hotter, this is known as "thermal runaway" by us electronics engineers. Even if it doesn't cause a break in the circuit it is using power that you would rather be going to the motor/prop
those ec3 are thin, and are in cheap plastic. I like the idea of upgrading to the castle stuff, but then there is the cost issue... but you get what you pay for!....
I will take my free airplane and chalk this up to "still learning"!
Thanks again!
cpaine
Super Contributor

Post by cpaine »

any one recommend a good upgrade for connectors?? I see castle makes 6.5mm high amp...
fizzwater2
Super Contributor

Post by fizzwater2 »

I'm using the Castle 4mm polarized connector set. Trouble is, it's tough to get them on the 10AWG wire they put on the 75A speed controls. The 6.5's would fit, but they're kinda overkill.

If you used individual bullet connectors, you can use the 5.5mm ones, they're good for 150 amps. If you do, PLEASE take care to insulate the female connectors well enough that you can't bump them up against a mail connector and cause a short.. otherwise smoke may result where you used to have an airplane...
Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them.
dscherrer
Super Contributor

Post by dscherrer »

Any thoughts then on the XHT 4mm that come on the Turnigy 2700 Nanotechs?
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

You're only going to pull 60 or so Amps max through the battery into the ESC when running EF1 approved gear.

The XT60's are a pretty good choice in my opinion:

http://www.amazon.com/XT60-Connector-Pa ... B005FAPYXS

EC3's are also rated for 60A so you're probably good with them.

I've run Deans for a long time and while I've got enough XT60's to make the switch (or a really good start at it anyway) I've never quite worked up the motivation to do that much soldering. The Dean's connectors don't seem to have published specs but the consensus seems to be that they're good for at least 40A.

As I mentioned on RCG the one and only EFlite 60A ESC I ever owned let the magic smoke out after being flown a couple of times in an EFlite F-86 back to back (or close enough that the ESC probably didn't cool all the way).

The Castle Ice 75A and Hobbyking Plush 60A ESC's I've used in these airplanes have always worked properly. On hot days the ESC probably won't get all the way back down to ambient temperature between heats. Both of the ESC's have survived without incident after a full season of racing and practicing - I'd recommend either as a good option for racing in this class.