EF1 batteries

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
lovetofly1
Contributor

EF1 batteries

Post by lovetofly1 »

I was wondering what is the battery of choice for EF1 racing.

Is 65-130C way overkill. Is 35C fine? If you have less C rating is it best to go with a higher mAh capacity like 3000 or 3300 mAh?

I am leaning toward a 3300 mAh 4s 35C battery. Any help or ideas would be welcomed!
uavflyer2k
Super Contributor

Re: EF1 batteries

Post by uavflyer2k »

In general the higher the "C" rating the lower the internal resistance of the cells.

Also higher capacity cells, all else equal, will have a lower internal resistance. Therefore a Nanaotech 2250 will have a higher internal resistance than a Nanotech 2700 - given they are both 65-130C cells. A higher capacity battery will also be at a higher voltage point on it's discharge curve at the end of a race - this is good.

So, if you are racing then you want the lowest internal resistance cells you can get. You want to minimize the voltage drop in the batteries, this will also reduce the temperature build-up in the batteries. Internal resistance, in the battery, robs voltage that you want going to the motor, instead it will turn it into heat in the battery.

Higher voltage at the motor = more current = more torque = more RPM = more power = more speed.

From the batteries point of view:
Lower internal resistance = lower heat generated in the battery = longer battery life.

After a race I only need about 1200 Mah to recharge a battery, so almost any reasonable size battery will work, but only the highest "C" and largest capacity battery that fits the weight limit, will win races.

Also, be sure to take care of your batteries!! I charge just before a race and ALWAYS discharge batteries to storage levels when finished, this will keep them fresh and help them last a long time. Storing batteries fully charged will kill a racing battery in short order - they may still be OK for sport flying though! I use batteries that have lost their "oomph" for practice and save the good ones for racing.

Batteries that I have found good are all 65C rated. Manufactures are bringing "new and improved" batteries out every year, so this is not a final verdict and is probably obsolete as I write this, but not a bad place to start!
Nanotech 2700
Nanotech A-Spec 2600
Dinogy 2600

All the above is the technological part of EF1 batteries, the other part is, like all racing, flying a good race.

Have fun.
lovetofly1
Contributor

Post by lovetofly1 »

Thanks uavflyer2k. Your info helps a lot especially your examples of batteries that will work well.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

I've found that these hold their voltage really well through a heat race:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=33238

Other guys I race with use Thunderpower.