Rules - Battery question.

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Rules - Battery question.

Post by ronin4740 »

Curious if one could run two packs in parallel and, if so, would the max weight of the battery at 335g be compared to the weight of the two packs or the two packs plus the parallel harness needed to connect them?

Asking simply because I'd like to try the new Turnigy Graphene packs but the only possible way I'm going to stay under the max pack weight would be to run a couple of 1300's in parallel and shorten the discharge wires considerably. Not going to buy them if I can't run them in parallel and be legal or if the parallel harness wiring counts towards the total pack weight.

Thanks,

Chris
GaryS
Super Contributor

Re: Rules - Battery question.

Post by GaryS »

I'm sure DK or somebody will chime in, but I would think that the parallel harness would have to be included in the weight as it's needed to complete the battery package to essentially make it a 4s pack. But who knows, I could be wrong. ;)
GS
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Makes sense in some ways but I guess it depends on perspective. Would it make a difference if the parallel harness was soldered to the ESC side? ESC's and their wiring only count against the total model weight.

Hopefully Dan's given this some thought and will reply shortly. Am needing to purchase a couple of fresh packs for the season :)
GaryS
Super Contributor

Post by GaryS »

The rules refer to "battery", not "batteries", so that would also lead me to believe that only one battery pack is intended. If you have to plug two separate packs into the ESC, I would think it goes against the intent of the rule.

"3) Battery: Battery shall be a commercially available Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery.
a. Maximum Number of Battery Cells: Motor battery shall have a maximum of 4 cells,
and all cells shall be contained in shrink tubing.
b. Maximum Battery Weight: Motor battery pack shall have a maximum weight of 335
grams including all connectors, wires and shrink tubing. It is recommended that batteries
utilize a balancing tap to balance the individual cells as part of the charging process;
however, batteries without a balancing connector are permitted and shall have a
maximum weight of 315 grams.
c. Battery Retention: There shall be a means of positive retention of the battery pack
within the airplane to prevent it from shifting during flight. "
GS
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

The intention is to have one battery.

Therefore parallel systems are not permitted. However I will bring it to a vote for a rule revision and see what is determined.

DK
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

DK,
Can we have a little more speed in EF-1? I'm going to fly a Invictus next week, with a Horizon Rare Bear's 15BL motor, and the (Bear's) ESC (APC 8x8) and 5s battery. Static RPM with with the 5s about 17500 RPM
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Jeff,

I am not opposed to investigating anything. I am not sure how too many ARF's will hold up to 5S. The Invictus is the only one I would even attempt this with. Fly it for awhile and let me know how things go. Get the guys in Cali to try it. Otherwise nothing will happen.

Personally, I am very glad just to see pylon racing in Northern California again.

DK
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Fair enough gents. Appreciate both comments on my question. For now I'm willing to accept the answer. Dan, if you want to ask the rules committee for their opinion that's fine with me but I won't buy any of the packs I'd considered running in parallel just yet.

As for more speed - I think Dave Yost's suggestion on RCG to convert QM15 planes to electric with more cells, hotter motors, etc.. is probably more viable. I believe the Invictus is the only ARF with a foam core wing and I think a hard pull around pylon 1 would cause the wings of the Shoestring, Pogo (with wingtips to make it legal of course!), Scarlet Screamer/Outrageous, Miss Dara and Proud Bird ARF's to clap their wingtips above the fuselage and go in like a lawn dart at some point in a race.

QM15 planes are built to take the 120-140 mph speeds we might be able to get out of them.

That said I hope to see Jeff's Invictus run a few practice laps on 5S at the Woodland/Davis race. Maybe it'll convince the rest of us to try 5S in our EF1's.
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Chris,
Once again, this Motor/ESC set-up is from the Horizon Rare Bear. This is not a EF-1 motor I'm going to try-out. It's a 15BL 1250kv, I suppose you could use any ESC. My concern besides the airframe holding-up is, providing enough air flow to keep the motor/ESC cool enough. The front of the Bear allows for more air flow by/over the motor. 8)
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

OK, I flew the EF-1 Invictus today using the Horizon Rare Bear 15BL motor and ESC, with a 5s 3300mah battery (to heavy). will try a 2700mah 5s next. WOW, What a difference in speed, Robert Holik thought it was the speed of a 426 +/-, No problems. And Man, does it groove soooo much better. I think it pulled about 70amps.
How about some of you guys give this set-up a try-out? 8)
dscherrer
Super Contributor

Post by dscherrer »

Jeff,
can you give some details on the motor? diameter, length, max amps/watts/etc? About all I know is that it is 1200 KV.

Looking to do some experiments as well.

Cheers
Doug
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Doug,
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/air ... np-efl1275 Next to the Pic of the Rare Bear is a link to Parts and Upgrades.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/15-bl-outru ... p-eflm1215
http://www.horizonhobby.com/70-amp-swit ... p-efla1070
This motor bolted right to the fire wall of my Invictus using some 3/8 inch spacers
The 15BL Motor is the same Diameter as the E-Flight EF-1 Motor. The 15Bl has bolt-on Prop shaft, and, uses the same motor mount as the E-Flight EF-1 motor. I'm guessing that Horizon designed this ESC for this Motor (guessing). Horizon told me the ESC was un-programmable and didn't say what the setting were on the ESC.
I'll post later what amps/watts I get running the 5s APC8x8 prop 8)