EF-1 on 5s battery

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
MLH
Super Contributor

Re: EF-1 on 5s battery

Post by MLH »

I would be cautious about using the QM15 as they are not designed to have a removable battery and they are pretty small. I remember having to squeeze in the radio.
dscherrer
Super Contributor

Post by dscherrer »

Agree on the size and how to get everything to fit. It is a glass fuse that I have so wondering if I can cut the top off for battery access, like the EF1 canopies. Not sure how easy it will be to get an EF1 motor to even fit. But worth the try and see what can be done. There are some nice small high torque servos that I can get from HK that should make fitting the servos in a little easier.

Now to find the time to get to it.

DS
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Has anyone tried putting a 5s battery in a EF-1 to see what happens? I've static run stock ESC and OS Max and Arrowind motors, 8x8 apc on 5s batteries and got 16000-17000rpm. Have yet to fly them.
cbk07
Super Contributor

Post by cbk07 »

Out of curiosity, why is everyone always trying to come up with a new class? I have put in a lot of time trying to get better and still pretty much get lapped by the guys with good EF-1 stuff and better thumbs than I have on a national level. Unless you guys are at the top of the class ( perhaps you are) why not try to go faster with the current rules instead of always trying to build a faster moustrap. Just a question.... Seems like we already have plenty of classes of racing to go around yet seems like a smaller number of people showing up at many of them. Diluting the events even more just seems counterproductive. My .02
Craig
Last edited by cbk07 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Craig,

I think the reason is that there's only one provisionally accepted class of racing which is electric powered. Once you feel like you've gotten pretty good at running pylons with EF1 and want to go faster your option at present is to graduate to 426 or QM40. Not all of the folks running EF1 have interest in running in those classes as they're more expensive to run than EF1 and they require some knowledge of how to run a glow motor. I might be in the minority but I've never flown anything glow powered so I don't have any of the equipment or the knowledge needed to make them go.

I went ahead and purchased a Rivets from Kevin Matney. Will try to get it built as an electric and test a few motors/props/esc/battery combinations in the next few months. It'll be a low priority until I get a few other EF1 related projects done but I'll do my best to get it up by mid season so I have a chance to fly it at some of the Northern California EF1 events during practice. Maybe others will see it and show interest, maybe not but I think the only way to find out is to try.

Chris
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

I have 2 Q/15 that can be set up for Electric
Attachments
Estrillata QM-15's
Estrillata QM-15's
ME-109
ME-109
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane