Miss Dara

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
JSC
Super Contributor

Miss Dara

Post by JSC »

Dan Kane,
Is Nitro Planes Miss Dara you're design? If so, How can I make the wing stronger, to with stand the speeds of a 5 cell battery? :D
You mention that, the Invictus wing is, one of the more stronger wings that, in you're opinion, (I respect) would be better suited to withstand the speed that a 5s battery EF-1.
That being said, are there other EF-1 kit's/arf's, with wings strong enough to withstand the speed that, a 5s battery EF-1 would go :?:
kane
Super Contributor

Re: Miss Dara

Post by kane »

Jeff,

It is. Unfortunately, what I provided and what they ended up with are very different. It would be very tough for me to tell you how to do it without having their files to know the construction methods used. Sorry.

I suggested the invictus, because I am aware of what Red went through to make it the way it was made. It is very strong in comparison to the DARA. In addition due to the fact that the wing is not of the plug in style, you can strip the covering and re-glass the center for an additional level of security.

Speed wise, you won't see any difference in the two airplanes. It is just which one you choose to start with.

Kits...

Archie Adamisin is selling his Wagner Solution. This is very similar to the Invictus and because you are building it you can make it as strong as you want.

Kevin Matney sells, both the Thunder Chicken and Miss Lynn. Again Foam wing construction and you can build in the strength.

Beyond that I am not sure what else is available.

Hope this helps.

DK
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Dan,
How about Small's Estrellia and shark, are those wing strong enough and, are they afford as kits only?
And, do you know of anyone that has experimented with 5s batteries in a EF-1 racer, using a EF-1 approved motor and approved APC8x8 prop?
I'd like to converse with them about this 5s experimentation. 8)
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Well, the Estrelitta and Shark from Small is my airplane as well. And yes it will work if you can find a foam wing kit and build it with enough reinforcement. Jerry and I gave the kit to Carolina Custom Kits. Mark may be supplying both wood and foam wings, I am not sure.

And I am not aware of anyone that is trying to run an EF-1 racer on 5S.

Hope this helps,

DK
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

I asked Dave Yost about cutting foam cores for the Estrellita and he was willing to do so. I believe he's a member here as well as RCG and uses his name as his member name on both sites. You might contact him if you want to build a foam core wing version of the Estrellita. Not sure if he could do a Shark wing or not.

You could probably build Mark's Estrellita wing, fully sheet it and glass it with the result being something strong enough for the extra speed. I'll be able to comment on the built up wing and it's strength shortly as I've got half of one of his kit's wings done.

*chuckle* as it's my second kit build I may not be the best tester for strength but a few test laps once it's completed ought to tell the tale. Tony McDonald has a couple of Shark kits. I'd trust his building skills over mine.

...and thanks Dan and Jerry for letting Mark cut the Estrellita/Shark kits. I'm really enjoying assembling mine and Mark's been great to work with/ask questions of.

Chris
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Dan,
I sent you a PM. You can comment here, in the clear or, answer back in a PM to me.
cbk07
Super Contributor

Post by cbk07 »

Chris, Pretty sure Mark is making foam cores for the Estrellita and Shark kits.

http://carolinacustomkits.com/planes.html Click on the NMPRA section
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

JSC wrote:Dan,
I sent you a PM. You can comment here, in the clear or, answer back in a PM to me.

Jeff,

I don't see a PM. Just ask your question here. I will answer it.

DK
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

I would like to advocate 2 rules changes, preferably co-written with you :?:
1. The elimination of the Quickie class 424.
2. Replaced with by a 5s class of EF-1

Four classes.
EF-1 4s event
EF-1 5s event
Quickie 426 event
Q-40 event

I'm also saying, the same size EF-1 airframe in both classes.

I understand a 5s class EF-1 would need a stronger air frame (Wing) and, possibly? Horizontal and Vertical stabs of solid wood :?:
Stronger Motor area construction???
8)
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Well, I didn't see that one coming.

I am not sure eliminating 424 is the correct path for pylon in general. I love the fact that the guys in the Northeast have incorporated electric power to be run with the nitro motors. If anything I would consider a rules re-write to include electric vs eliminating the class.

EF-1 was supposed to be cheap and easy. We kind of missed the mark with that. The airframe and power combo is about $200 more than we had originally hoped for. Therefore, I struggle adding more cost. Of course this is all relative.

I am inclined to add a slower class before a faster class. A 3S sport class. This could make it more attractive to new pilots.

A 5S class sounds great. But now we are getting into custom built models. (NOBODY builds anymore) And the current crop of ARF airplanes are not up to that standard.

We were very lucky with EF-1 in that it caught on as it did. There have been other events created with the hopes of people jumping on board. Two that come to mind are the sport F1 rules and Sport Q40 rules. Neither really gained popularity nor have events been run. Right now we have more EF-1 contests and competitors than 424. I feel this is mainly because of the cross over from QM pilots. Some don't fly 424 but will fly EF-1 at one or two contests. We need a natural progression of events. And for the first time in several years we have that. We have a 110MPH class. We have a 150MPH class and a 190MPH class. This progression allows guys to advance and try out the other events if their checkbooks can handle it. If not they stay where they are.

Electric is very attractive because of what it is. I do feel this needs to be tested and vetted before we go into some full scale production of rules and aircraft. EF-1 was tested for the better part of 2 years before it ended up on the pogo. George Parks, John Jennings, Jerry Small, Pete Bergstrom and Scott McAfee tested prototype airplanes along side old QM15 airplanes. All electric powered. The end result was the POGO. In the early days George and John did a majority of the testing and I think they should be commended for what they did. Jerry did the airplane. Scott and Pete had the vision. When I got involved the ship was already out of the port. I was able to promote this little idea to the masses and was able to secure interest outside our little group. This all happened over the course of 7 years. So I am not saying it can't be done. In fact I am saying anything is possible. But you need the right people. If any of those original guys didn't work with any of the others the project may have failed.

You need to find those type of guys. You need to promote/push and knock down walls to make it happen. My plate is full. I love the idea. I just can't commit to the movement. I hope you do find a way to make it happen and I will always be here to help. I can't lead the charge though.

DK
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

" I can't lead the charge though"
I understand. 8)
JSC
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

Jeff

I had another thought about an airplane that you can use for testing. Scott Manning built and raced a glass fuselage foam wing polecat in EF-1 at Whittier. The Whittier club used their own EF-1 rules in the beginning. Reach out to Scott and see if he has anything left you can use as a test plane for what you want to do.

DK