Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 Kit

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 Kit

Post by DonStegall »

I am working on molds from some cowl and hatch parts for the Miss Cosmic Wind by Dan Kane and Jerry Small.

As soon as I can get kits cut and the fiberglass parts ready, the kit will be available. I expect it to be early June. I should have kits at the 2017 Pylon NATS.
Attachments
MissCosmicWind_1.jpg
MissCosmicWind_2.jpg
Fuselage_1600.jpg
cpaine
Super Contributor

Re: Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 Kit

Post by cpaine »

this looks great! love when new ef1s come out! I wanted to do an El Bandito ef1, which is similar to Cosmic Wind... but i just have no time for design and R&D. Cant wait to see the finished product.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I have one kit on hand. Once I get the kits cut, and 4 proofs are getting cut next week, I will start building one. Jeff Kerlo did the initial design and built the one in the pictures.

Irwin Funderburk won the 1975 F1 NATS using an El Bandito of his own design using a Stegall Minnow wing. I may do a variant on this one as an El Bandito. The El Bandito has a more sloped down nose, so it would be some work in terms of a new cowl and probably hatch molds. And the bottom of the fuselage is rounded where this one was essentially flat.

At some point I should have the F1 El Bandito molds. I have a fuselage and hatch on hand and have considered making epoxy molds from the parts that I can use to join the fuselage in the mold. The original molds are polyester. If I get them a plug and make the new molds. I have a wing that I could make a composite wing mold from. But I have a lot of projects that need to be finished in the works already.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Don - if you're willing to make an ARC and ship it to me I'd be interested in the price and will likely buy one. I just don't have the time to build kits these days.

Shoot me a PM if you are.

Chris
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Chris,

Just email me at don.f.stegall@gmail.com as I get that on my phone and all my devices. My address is all over the web so I don't worry about posting it. :D

Make me an offer. We're probably looking at $250 to $300 for a ready to cover and paint airframe. But to get some in the field there may be a little flexibility on one or a few. Depends on how much you want done. Like fitting of servos, pushrods, control horns, specific motor, etc
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Don,

Shot you an email. Thanks!

Chris
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Chris,

Got your order and payment and I'm looking forward to putting one together for you.

I have a full video studio set up now and I just created the RCPylon.TV channel on YouTube this weekend. I already owned RCPylon.TV and it is going to be dedicated to pylon racing. A whole lot of R/C pylon is coming to YouTube.

I will be video taping the build.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Thanks Don. Take your time. Looking forward to watching the build and receiving the product.

Chris
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

DonStegall wrote:...
Irwin Funderburk won the 1975 F1 NATS using an El Bandito of his own design using a Stegall Minnow wing.
At some point I should have the F1 El Bandito molds. I have a fuselage and hatch on hand and have considered making epoxy molds from the parts that I can use to join the fuselage in the mold. The original molds are polyester. If I get them a plug and make the new molds. I have a wing that I could make a composite wing mold from. But I have a lot of projects that need to be finished in the works already.
I now have the .40 sized Formula 1 El Bandito molds. They are in pretty decent shape. I will have kits available by NATS time. A fiberglass and foam core kit with canopy will be $150 plus shipping. A kit with a vacuum bagged wing and all wood parts will be $250. If you want one, get on the list. Let me know at don.f.stegall@gmail.com if you want to get on the list and I will send you a PayPal Invoice for a 50% deposit which is refundable if I don't have your kit to you within 8 weeks.

I have the molds for three versions of the Stegall Minnow F1. These will be available at the same prices and conditions above.
Attachments
IMG_1873.JPG
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Don - curious what progress you might have made on the Cosmic Wind?

Chris
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Chris,

The new kits arrived on Wednesday. Got to take a look at them briefly yesterday.

I have some prep work to do today and this evening. Will probably start building tomorrow night.

Probably just going to do a build thread and not a video build thread. Video takes longer.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

The shop and the music studio are going to be busy this weekend. Last night I restrung my cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard Pro and set it up with new Elixir coated strings. My fingers are sore from playing so much guitar this week that I have to do plane work. ;)

This is the wing kit for the Miss Cosmic Wind EF1. The wing is built using a jig made from plywood and steel rods. The jig is on the the thicker plywood piece at the bottom. The laser cutting and wood are excellent.

I found that four pieces in 2 sheets are missing. They are identical so I just have to specify additional pieces for future kit runs.

I will be posting photos of the fuselage parts and the tail parts as I go through them.

I'm going to build the fuselage first so I can get the molds made from the existing hatch and cowl.

If you want to see additional photos as this project progresses, just post a comment.

I have also acquired production rights to the Estrellita / Shark EF1 and got one of those kits with a built up wing. I will be doing fiberglass parts for that plane as well.
Attachments
Wing Kit.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

This is the fuselage and tail portions of the kit.

The decking for the top of the rear of the fuselage is on the fin and rudder sheet.

At the moment I can't identify a crutch for the area behind the wing. But I may just be missing something. Need to check it against the original kit.
Attachments
Fuselage and Tail Kit.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I was right. There was a missing fuselage crutch piece. I had mixed it in with the original kit.
Attachments
Fuselage Crutch.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I have a cowl and a hatch to make molds from.

Will probably go ahead and make molds without using a fuselage for support. These are not real flimsy and if I'm careful, the new molds should work fine.
Attachments
Cowl and Hatch.jpg