Estrellita EF1 / Shark EF1

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Estrellita EF1 / Shark EF1

Post by DonStegall »

Having some problems with RCPylon.TV ... here is the video on my personal channel.

https://youtu.be/MEJEkWqyz34

DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

As of tonight, the cowl halves of the Estrellita EF1 / Shark EF1 are almost ready to be joined.

They will be joined by Saturday and filling will be done on Sunday.

Hope to start the molds a week from Saturday.

One thing I need is the width of the cowl at the very back of the cheek cowls.

I may have to assemble a fuselage this weekend to get the size right.

The spinner size is just right in width compared to the height.
Attachments
IMG_2578.JPG
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Are the fiberglass cowl and wheel pants available for the Estrellita yet?
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

ronin4740 wrote:Are the fiberglass cowl and wheel pants available for the Estrellita yet?
I already have some orders for the Estrellita and Shark parts.

I had something I had to do in parallel. I had to lay up a BOB CAT fuselage. Did this last week. Have more orders coming in for the BOB CAT.

I haven't had time to edit videos, but later on you'll be able to see the whole EF1 process if you want after deliveries begin.

If you know what you want, send email to don.f.stegall@gmail.com and I will send you an invoice via PayPal. Partial payments are allowed to hold your spot in line. If you decide not to complete the order, I will cancel the invoice.

It's going to be April 9 before any are EF1 parts are shipped out.

Thanks,

Don
Attachments
IMG_2765.jpg
IMG_2766.jpg
IMG_2767.jpg
IMG_2768.jpg
Last edited by DonStegall on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Ummm... do you mean April 9th?

I'll send the email but I really need the parts by or within a week of that date Don. Otherwise I'll see if I can make a set myself from the remaining cowl I have.

Chris
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I had a migraine start on Saturday. I was incapacitated Sunday and most of yesterday. I was at the doctor getting shots yesterday afternoon. It got better before I went to bed, but I woke up with it coming back at 5 am ... Took multiple Relpax today. Now I'm behind on work (at my job) as well. So this will be a short weekend.

This will delay the fiberglass parts delivery until April 16th or a little later.

Is anyone else out there making fiberglass parts for the Estrellita and Shark EF1 planes?
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Well... you have the only set of plugs for them that I'm aware of...

Dan/Jerry are not - they were making plastic cowls and wheel pants. I believe Mark at Carolina Custom Kits is distributing what Dan/Jerry sent him and am not sure if he's making more.

We could also use a source of canopies and wing fairings. Especially canopies.

So I think all of us that have Estrellita's/Sharks are kind of waiting on your fiberglass parts :)
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I made some progress over the weekend, but I have had a migraine since March 30 and some kind of bug. I'm feeling good now. I should make a lot of progress over the next week. Hopefully I will have some parts in 2 weeks or so.

I will announce what I have when so people can know what is coming.

I don't have time to make videos of all I have to do. Not edited video right away anyway. But I will post some pictures as I get a chance.

Should have fiberglass turtle decks and plastic hatches first..
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Don,

Appreciate the update. If I might suggest focusing on the cowls and wheel pants and that those who have Estrellita/Shark kits either have the plastic turtle deck or can skin the turtle deck (Mark sells a kit with this option). The Estrelitta I just finished was surprisingly tail heavy-ish so I would not want to add the additional weight of fiberglass to the turtle deck...

We do need canopies so if that's what you mean by plastic hatches then that's good. Mark at Carolina Custom Kits also sells a pretty nifty canopy hatch frame which helps secure it to the fuselage!

...but we really, really need cowls and wheel pants :)
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I was back at the eye doctor today and it turns out I got a bad set of contacts.

I had lost my packs of my old contacts and have looked everywhere for them.

But I did not know the new contacts I started wearing the weekend before Easter were messing up my vision.

I got a new left distance contact and maybe I can see to fly again when I get a chance.

I have prescription non-bifocals with Transitions but my eyes are so bad I get a lot of distortion even with high index glasses.

The delay on the EF1 parts probably means it will be Club 40 at the max for me. Too much fiberglass and kit work to do.

Yes, I have a new plug in process for the canopy as well has a full hatch mold. I don't think the fiberglass turtledeck is going to be a problem. These parts can be made pretty light...

I got one of these a few weeks ago and I haven't even had time to take it out of the box other than the cowl to see if the electric motor I'm planning to put in it this summer or fall will fit http://airborne-models.com/html/ZDispla ... egoryID=12. It should be getting a 100cc gas equivalent electric motor with an RTF weight of around 30 pounds.

My dream is to get my turbine waiver and build one of these or something else with a Turbo-Prop in it. I have to win the lottery first. ;)

The good thing is that my week long migraine seems to be past. :)

Gotta go do some glass work ... I'll post some EF1 mold and part photos when I get time.
Attachments
50ccPilatusBig.jpg
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG
IMG_2763.JPG
spt51314__large.jpg
spt51314__large.jpg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
mcdracing
Super Contributor

Post by mcdracing »

Focus Don focus. LOL! :o
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I'm cruising on finishing up the Estrellita molds now. I will have turtle decks by weekend after this one and cowls with a couple of days after that.

I have the belly plan mold that Greg Doe made.

I should also have the wing fillet parts at the same time as the turtle decks.

Will have molded hatches then also. Not sure clear hatches will be ready until about 3 weeks.

Wheel pants are probably 3 weeks away.

Don
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

...are you planning to add them to the list of items you sell via Amazon?
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

ronin4740 wrote:...are you planning to add them to the list of items you sell via Amazon?
Yes ... When I get caught up and have at least several pieces in stock.

Amazon only gives me one day to ship. Two at the max. So I have to keep inventory to be able to sell on Amazon.

Was that you that ordered the Glow Plug Caddy yesterday?

People have started tagging their Amazon products so they get listed when you go to EpoxyFillers.store. I've got to get the new StegallHobbies.com online. BTW, if you do woodworking, the Precision Router Depth Gauge (Complete Unit) is less on Amazon. Jim Katz and Irwin Funderburk have them and love them.

Will try to start posting some photos of the EF1 plugs and molds over the next two weeks. And some parts within a couple of weeks. I've ditched making videos for these for the most part. Too much additional work and slows me down.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Yes, it was I who ordered the glow plug caddy yesterday. Hoping to mount it to the flight box that my Uncle is building for me. He's the woodworker, not me - I just mash sticks and bury airplanes into the ground these days :)

Chris