Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 - Building

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 - Building

Post by DonStegall »

I'm starting a new thread for the build of the Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 since the kit thread veered a little.

Here is the introduction video on http://RCPylon.TV ... Please subscribe. I need to get to 100 subscribers to get additional privileges on YouTube like I have on http://DonStegall.com

DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 - Building

Post by DonStegall »

I will post photos here in addition to the videos. I cut my right index finger getting the parts separated and it wouldn't stop bleeding even with CA so there is some blood on the fuselage parts.

The first step was figuring out how the jigsaw puzzle fits together. I didn't have photos or instructions. I will take the pieces apart and show the sequence for assembly. It is actually quite easy after doing it one time. I think I could build a fuselage in 2 nights of work.
Attachments
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

No glue yet. Just fitting all the parts and getting my moves ready for when I do glue it together
IMG_1979.JPG
The lower side jig with the formers and the bottom
IMG_1980.JPG
Here is the bottom which is flat on the Miss Cosmic Wind
IMG_1981.JPG
With the unshaped rear decking
IMG_1982.JPG
It is already starting to look like an airplane.
IMG_1983.JPG
I will make a video of taking the pieces apart, and then a video of the actual build. And show all the techniques needed to build a fuselage in two days. I expect the wing to be just as easy.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Last night I separated parts for another Miss Cosmic Wind EF1. I also glued the tail pieces together. I'm really liking the way this plane is looking. With the same wing basically as the Miss Dara, it should be a contender. Many Thanks to Dan Kane​ and thanks to Jeff Kerlo​ for his contribution to the design.
Attachments
IMG_1984.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I don't even have to get custom landing gears made. This is a Great Planes and it fits perfectly.

I'm going to run engines and do yard work on Sunday with some modeling when I get tired.

On the second CW I have in progress, I have not punched out the lightening holes in the bottom sides and the bottom. I'm considering gluing them in and I'm considering fully sheeting the wing. I want to be able to paint the whole plane in Metallic Bronze like the full scale plane. I know I can't glass the wood structures, but I could brush thinned epoxy or spray clear KlassKote to toughen the surface.

Is it permissible to have a fully painted EF1, or is some film covering required?
Attachments
IMG_1985.JPG
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

The airplane's must be "primarily" covered in plastic film.

The definition used is mainly. Therefore a small patch of covering on the fuselage or wing does not satisfy this rule.

DK
Attachments
IMG_0954.PNG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Dan,

I can get Pearl Bronze ToughLon from AirBorne and probably have some. Getting paint to match is going to be the issue.

I wanted to dress up a plane with the panel lines and rivets like we used to do on the F1 planes.

How hard will it be to make a wing with a straight leading edge like the real plane?

I might do a "show" plane fully painted and with a lot of detail just to have for display.

The irony of this plane is that I held the Junior 1/2A Proto Speed record with a Miss Cosmic Wind that had the engine lugs in the cheek cowls. I think I have some remaining parts here ... found part of them.

The cheek cowls caused a lot of controversy. Because the fuselage was much skinnier that the other guys planes. Cheek cowls like this were banned later on by the C/L Racing Board.

The raised lines on the aileron areas were actually turbulators This one flew more stable with them on than earlier versions.

While I'm building the Miss Cosmic Wind I'm still focused on the Estrellita EF1 and Mace Shark EF1. I just have a lot of work to do on those molds and I'm having fun playing with balsa and plywood. Plus the fuselage of the CW supports the cowl and I will probably lay up the cowl molds with the cowl on a fuselage.

Don
Attachments
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Positioning the parts helps to visualize how they are going to go together. I'm getting ready to video tape the first session where I glue the forward plywood framework together. Video should be available tomorrow or later today.
Attachments
IMG_1991.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

The main front part of the fuselage from the top
IMG_1996.JPG
The bottom of the fuselage and you can see the landing gear support structure.
IMG_1995.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

With the rear portion mostly assembled. When I was putting the formers in, I saw that there were cutouts for stringers. Adding stringers will let me round the bottom edges some, so I put off gluing on the bottom in this video take.
IMG_1998.JPG
The major portion of the fuselage is assembled. I have to glue on the bottom an the aft top deck and shape it. The Part 2 Fuselage Phase 1 and Part 3 Fuselage Phase 2 videos will be online Sunday or Monday. The forward fuselage portion has been through 2 edits and just needs titles, backgrounds, and some zooming.
IMG_1999.JPG
This is going to be a good looking plane.The video for Phase 1 of construction will be online in less than an hour. I will try to have Phase 2 online by tomorrow.
IMG_2001.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

The first phase of build the Miss Cosmic Wind fuselage is to build the forward plywood structure. In this almost hour long video I cover everything you need to know to build that part of the plane. It is actually very easy. Especially when you aren't trying to video tape the process.

I'm working hard to make my videos more watchable. Comments and criticisms are welcomed. It slows down the process and my Mac stays busy all the time rendering video material, so I hope it's worth it.

Check out the StegallHobbies.com line of products on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_we ... allHobbies ... The Cab-o-sil and Cotton Flock are especially popular
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

May be a couple of days until I have the Fuselage Phase 2 video ready. Did the Phase 1 video increase, decrease, or not affect your confidence that you can build this plane?
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

The second phase of building the Miss Cosmic Wind fuselage. The sides of the fuselage are joined with formers and a crutch. Then the lower sides are glued in place. In this 40 minute long video I cover everything you need to know to build that part of the plane. It is actually very easy. Phase 3 is coming soon (should be this weekend) and Phase 2 can be seen below and at https://youtu.be/j2gAwi-UZcg... Phase 3 will be the finishing of the aft portion

Check out our line of products on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_dp_s_we ... allHobbies ... The Cab-o-sil and Cotton Flock are especially popular ... I highly recommend the Sampler Kits
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I have created a YouTube Playlist for the Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 Pylon Racer - Building The Laser Cut Kit series so it is easy to keep up with what you have watched and how far you have watched.

If you start watching a video in a playlist, when you come back, you can resume where you stopped. Very convenient.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Fuselage all glued together. Just needs some more sanding on the aft deck and some sanding all over and some filler. I will use Micro-Light since it is balsa colored.
IMG_2002.JPG
Looking forward to getting the wing panels done. the Phase 3 video will be coming this weekend.
IMG_2003.JPG
The fuselage looks straight, but the camera angle make it looks like it's not.
IMG_2004.JPG