Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 - Building

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 - Building

Post by DonStegall »

Here's the video of completing the fuselage construction. I'm very happy with this plane and the wing construction will be coming soon.

If you liked this video series, let me know and I will do the Estrellita EF1 / Mace Shark EF1 as well.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I combined all of the Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 Fuselage Building videos into a single 2+ hour video. If you've watched the others, no need to watch this one. If you liked the videos please share this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO5xprJpF1k

DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I have been wanting to build a constant chord wing for the Outrageous EF1 or Scarlet Screamer EF1 and submit it for approval as an original Cassutt.

I talk to Greg Doe on the phone from time to time and we communicate via email. But sometimes the email just can't convey the love of aviation, modeling, and pylon racing, and we just have to get on the horn to let the enthusiasm flow.

While talking about the Miss Cosmic Wind (MCW), Greg told me about how the tapered wing was taken off to be used on another plane, or that the guys with the Miss Cosmic Wind thought that a Hershey Bar wing would be faster at higher altitudes, and the plane was fitted with a (probably) wood skinned constant chord wing.

After I snapped together a Miss Cosmic Wind EF1 fuselage, I started looking for pictures of the full scale plane. The balsa dust and the fuselage coming together so easily (as designed by Dan Kane) really pumped me up while I was recovering from the hospital stay for kidney failure. I found a picture of a Miss Cosmic Wind in the Chino Museum and OMG, it had a constant chord wing on it. Now I was really stoked.

I needed some 1/4" x 1/16" spruce for the rear spars on the tapered wing. So I built the fuselage first and made the videos you can see in the playlist at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... L5UqmEBuuM And I made a composite full length video of the fuselage building at https://youtu.be/Z46vJiclF70 ...

On afternoon I reverse engineered the root rib from the MCW tapered wing using CompuFoil 3D and came up with a plan. But I used the original cut files for the MCW and created cut sheets for the constant chord ribs. That evening I created the main spar, the trailing edge spare, and the leading edge..

I worked with Dan Kane and Mark Ackerman to get the cut files ready. In the mean time Dan made some slight adjustments to the fuselage. Dan made my cut files workable on the laser. Mark fix some things I didn't have exactly right.

I got the parts today and I actually took time for dinner before breaking the box open.

Within a few minutes I had the structure on the 1/8" rods that wood jigs are used to hold the wing straight while it is being built. It is going to be so easy to build this wing. I'm going to fully sheet it top and bottom and I got some great advice from Dan on that. I did not have Mark cut sheeting, so I have to work out the servo position before I put the bottom skin on. I will draw plans as I'm developing the wing.

I will be video taping the building of the Hershey Bar wing and the tapered wing this weekend as my wood from National Balsa got here in the past week and I need to get the wings done. I have to build a fuselage with the revised parts because on of the changes was to try to get the motor centered on the cowl ring before making the molds and some other changes to make the fuselage build even friendlier.

I will offer the straight wing kit for sale after flight testing.

Thanks to Greg for the 3 view with the straight wing and for the pictures of him actually sitting in the last version of the purple Miss Cosmic Wind and holding the tail during a run-up. Plus pictures of constant chord Miss Cosmic Wind R/C Goodyear / Formula 1 planes from the late 60's or early 70's.

Thanks to Dan for all of the adjustments and allowing me to kit the plane.

Thanks to Mark Ackerman for all of the work he has done on the EF1 planes and the Club 40 Racer.

Make sure you check out http://RCPylon.TV and http://DonStegall.com on your computer, tablet, or phone.

And with this being a long weekend, you should find more products at http://stegallhobbies.store after the weekend.
Attachments
3 View Newest 1920.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg
IMG_2062.jpg
cbk07
Super Contributor

Post by cbk07 »

What is the wingspan and chord going to be?
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

cbk07 wrote:What is the wingspan and chord going to be?
It is constant chord, constant airfoil.

I made the parts so that the panels are 18.125" long. The chord is 10". Without wing tips and and with the wing plugged into the fuselage, the span will be 39" I plan on using only 1/2" wing tips and doing the Hoerner thing or a simple rounding like the real plane.

Yes, that is over the 375 sq in requirement. But the outer ends of the panels can easily be modified to be up to 2" shorter.

If it flies well, I will make a shorter wing to get down to minimum wing area.

There are some other low ratio wing planes doing ok in EF1, and I'm doing this as a "fun" project because I have always been a Cassutt and Miss Cosmic Wind fan, and when I was flying full scale, I mostly flew Piper Hershey Bar winged planes like the Cherokee 140, 180, Six, Arrow I, and Piper Seneca Twin I.

I know long wings are supposed to be faster, but the straights on the EF1 course are shorter and my flying skills aren't likely to put me in with the winners anyway.

If you want to see some pictures of the full scale plane, let me know and I will post them. I was going to wait until I have the plane done and flying, but the photos of Greg Doe with the real plane are pretty cool. Dan Kane also sent me some pictures. I now own www.MissCosmicWind.com and I will be putting up full scale, history, and EF1 kit material on that site.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

One more thing.

This Hershey Bar wing will also fit the Outrageous EF1 and Scarlet Screamer EF1 ARF kits by The World Models with a minor elongation of the front screw bolt hole, or moving the front screw hole in the wing panel root.

I have thought about bringing those 2 planes back as laser kits. Anyone still want to built the Cassutt based Outrageous EF1 and Scarlet Screamer EF1 ???
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

This is the Miss Cosmic Wind Hershey Bar wing kit.

It includes the jigs for 2 pieces of 1/8" piano wire to be able to build the wing straight easily.

It includes the servo mounting pieces and the parts that go inside the servo hole openings.

The rocket tube wing tube receptacle is included.

The picture does not show the 1/4" x 1/16" and 1/4" x 1/8" spruce spar caps, but they are included.

It does not currently include the sheeting. I am going to fully sheet mine. I did not get contest grade balsa for the skins so I can see how much it weighs with regular balsa.

I got 4 cut on the initial run for testing. 3 are spoken for.

The wing kits are $50 shipped in the US. I have 1 available and can have more within a week.

I should have plans drawn and construction videos taped by the end of the weekend. The videos should be online within a week.

You don't need a fuselage to get started. I will be offering the Miss Cosmic Wind as a full short kit, as a fuselage and tail kit, and the wing kits for straight or tapered.
Attachments
IMG_2063.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Here are some pictures of the full scale Miss Cosmic Wind (MCW)

The original
fish_salmon_02.jpg

A black and white of the original
race_4_minnow.jpg

After the constant chord wing was put on
Miss Cosmic Wind - Red.jpg

Looks to be the same as above in action at Reno
0efe3750619bc91457aa135d4d8095b7--records-search-special-events (1) (1).jpg

From the Chino Museum
568916.jpg

Another view
608931.jpg
Last edited by DonStegall on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Here are some pictures of Greg Doe with the full scale Miss Cosmic Wind and some R/C model pictures of his MCW in the early days of R/C F1.

Greg in the cockpit:
MCW Greg Doe In Cockpit - 50 percent.jpg
Greg holding the tail:
MCW Greg Doe Holding Tail - 50 percent.jpg
Greg's R/C F1 racer
Gregs Plane - 50 percent.jpg
Greg and Carter Pounders with a collision of two Miss Cosmic Winds on takeoff
Greg and Carter Collision - 50 percent.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Tonight I assembled the wing jigs and built the structure of the left wing panel. I should have the video posted on Saturday.

A better picture of the wing kit with the spar caps, wing tube holder, and 1/8" rods
IMG_2064.JPG
After assembling the jigs and the left wing panel structure
IMG_2065.JPG
I had to see what it was going to look like on the plane ... a lot of perception distortion in this photo
IMG_2066.JPG
Looking like I hoped it would
IMG_2067.JPG
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Today and tonight I worked out the servo positioning and how I wanted to mount it. This will be the Part 2 video after I finish the inside structure.

The Part 1 video is about 1/2 way edited. May have it online on Sunday, Monday at the latest.

The bottom skin on the wing with the servo cover hole mostly complete. I installed 4-40 blind nuts in the corners of the servo cover brackets.
IMG_2069.jpg

From the bottom without the servo cover.
IMG_2070.jpg

From the bottom with the servo cover. It is held on with 4-40 button head screws.
IMG_2071.jpg

Still have a fair amount of work to do before the top can be glued on. I'm going to have all of the work done on the servo covers with a servo mounted before sheeting the top.
IMG_2072.jpg
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Some pictures of the wing panel with the bottom sheeting on the plane.
Attachments
IMG_2085.jpg
IMG_2086.jpg
IMG_2087.jpg