High Voltage Batteries not allowed??

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
edh-13
Super Contributor

High Voltage Batteries not allowed??

Post by edh-13 »

While looking through the events to see if there was a west coast race I might be able to enter I noticed a flier that specifically called-out NO high voltage batteries allowed. I have a few HV batts I use for my heavy planes (they save an ounce or two). I didn't see anything in the NMPRA rules against them, just the voltage limit that's always been there. Am I missing something? I don't want to complain to the CD if I am...
Thanks
Eric
delateurj
Super Contributor

Re: High Voltage Batteries not allowed??

Post by delateurj »

Hi,

You are probably referring to my race in Oakdale. You are correct there is nothing in the NMPRA rules against and that is why I am publishing a rules deviation in the flyer.

My reasoning for doing this was to keep what was our biggest growing class from turning into a battery race. Totally a subjective thing and can be argued from both sides.

Its been a couple of years now since they came out and they haven't dominated the field so I am open to eliminating the deviation.

Regards,
Joe DeLateur
mcdracing
Super Contributor

Post by mcdracing »

Just pick from the EF-1 approved equipment list posted on the NMPRA's webpage. Joe has done a good job last year in not allowing HV batteries at the contest. This promoted new pilots giving EF-1 a try. EF-1 is a great starting point for many in pylon I just wish people would work on their flying skills instead of looking for a advantage in the rules!
edh-13
Super Contributor

Post by edh-13 »

delateurj wrote:Hi,

You are probably referring to my race in Oakdale. You are correct there is nothing in the NMPRA rules against and that is why I am publishing a rules deviation in the flyer.

My reasoning for doing this was to keep what was our biggest growing class from turning into a battery race. Totally a subjective thing and can be argued from both sides.

Its been a couple of years now since they came out and they haven't dominated the field so I am open to eliminating the deviation.

Regards,
Joe DeLateur
Joe thanks for the reply. I believe the EF1 battery rules are written beautifully and there is a provision for 16.9 V limit. Aren't all the batteries checked immediately before each heat? Maybe that's where I'm confused. Every time I've raced there's been a battery check, over 16.9 and you're out. The only real advantage to a HV battery is wieght. That doesn't help in a proud bird or a scratch built, but some of the >3.5lb pigs I've flown an ounce or two really helps.
Thanks
Eric
edh-13
Super Contributor

Post by edh-13 »

mcdracing wrote:Just pick from the EF-1 approved equipment list posted on the NMPRA's webpage. Joe has done a good job last year in not allowing HV batteries at the contest. This promoted new pilots giving EF-1 a try. EF-1 is a great starting point for many in pylon I just wish people would work on their flying skills instead of looking for a advantage in the rules!
There are no approved batteries. But I do appreciate your passion and agree with everything else you said.

Please read my reply to Joe above. Voltage should not be an issue. It's 16.9 V regardless of what battery you're using.

Increased participation is a goal for everyone. If you can make some of the heavier ARFs competitive by lightening up the batteries that will help participation. Right?
Thanks
Eric
cseyer
Contributor

Post by cseyer »

Glad to see some conversation about batteries! Just an FYI the lipos labeled as HV are overrated on mah to account for the higher charge. In other words the reason a HV 3000 mah battery is the same weight as a normal 2700 mah pack is that the HV pack IS a 2700 mah pack but rated to take a higher voltage and therefore additional mah. The 16.8v voltage limit on the race pack equalizes all this anyways.

Wish I had taken pictures of a crashed HV pack that I dissasembled, the pouches were printed with the true mah which was less than the packs outside label.

Happy Racing!
delateurj
Super Contributor

Post by delateurj »

Thanks for all the input. Since I have published we will be running this way for awhile, I am going to stick to the restriction for this race rather than changing in the last few weeks before the race.

I will discuss with the pilots at the race and decide if it will be changed for next year.

Regards,
Joe.