NewB

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
munger

NewB

Post by munger »

Hello EF1 Pylon racers

I am a newb when it comes to EF1. I raced pylon with the FORKS (Fairfield Ohio Remote Kontrol Society) 30+ years ago. Back then we raced Scat Cats with K@B 40 engines.

Looking forward to seeing what has happened in 30+ years...............considering getting into EF1.

I already talked to Tom M. He gave me lots of info to start.........
Bob_T
Super Contributor

Re: NewB

Post by Bob_T »

If you are still in Fairfield, OH area, my son and a couple of other folks that are members of Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club race EF-1 and the other nitro classes at the NMPRA and CAPS pylon races. We sometimes go to the field and "practice" (without poles). Flying them at our field has not been a problem, provided there are not a lot of other sport fliers wanting to fly at the same time. The Moonshot Pylon Race is a CAPS race that held in early June at our club field, located off of Woodsdale Rd, in Trenton, OH, and EF-1 is flown at that race.
Last edited by Bob_T on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

EF1 is a great place to start or get back into Pylon racing! The class is fairly inexpensive to fly (no $400-$1200 composite air frames!) while still being FUN! Hope that you take the plunge, build an EF1 airplane and head to a two or three pole race! Make sure to practice beforehand!!! Am sure the years of flying Scat Cats will come back to you but nothing substitutes for stick time on the poles :)

If you need any help we're here to offer our opinions!

Chris
munger

Post by munger »

Thanks for the input. Actually I am in Northwest ohio now. Near Marysville.

I would love to practice somewhere. I guess I can setup some poles at my club when no one is there.

Is there any club that puts up poles from time to to so racers can practice ?
delateurj
Super Contributor

Post by delateurj »

If you need to make some easy pylons...following does the trick for about $35 in materials and an hour work:

1 3 pack of Buckets: https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-De ... /100672960
3 2ft pvc pipeshttps://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-1-1-4-i ... /202277593
3 10ft pvc pipes (cut down to what will fit in your vehicle) https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-10-f ... /202280936
1 bag of quik crete https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50 ... /100318521

Split the bag between the 3 buckets. One by one add water, put in 2 ft section. Sets amazing quick so you don't have to hold the pipe too long. (This made so you don't have to mix when doing fence poles...but for this I give it a stir with the 2 ft pipe as it helps it set up quicker...start with less water than you think you need and then add some if needed.)

Next day or two days at most ready to go. Slide the 10ft piece into the 2 ft section. (Double check I selected the right sizes. The 10ft section should slide into the 2 ft section). For more convenient transport you can cut down the bucket to the level of the concrete after it sets fully.

Have fun!
gsjames
Super Contributor

Post by gsjames »

I added some "foam peanuts' to the QuikCrete mix so as to still have the volume to support the inner pole, be light enough to carry around, but still heavy enough to not fall over in a light breeze.
munger

Post by munger »

Ok the Proud Bird is ready to go. Batteries on storage just waiting for the stupid weather to break.

On question
Helmets? Can I use a hockey helmet? What does everyone use?

Thanks and I hope to practice a bit and attend the school in May.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

I use a hard hat. Other folks use a bike helmet, batting helmet, etc... I imagine a Hockey helmet is fine. The idea is that whatever's on your head will give you a little protection if an airplane gets loose and impacts your grape.

If for some reason the contest director has a problem with it then someone will probably have something you can borrow.

...you're not talking about an entire goalie's mask are you? *chuckle* That'd be worth seeing!
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

Here is the link to the topic on helmets while you are at a race.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5264

Trey