Lightweight Pilots for EF1 and other planes

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Lightweight Pilots for EF1 and other planes

Post by DonStegall »

I have gotten pricing on the pilots that come with the Scarlet Screamer and the white Outrageous EF1 ARF kits.

If I order enough, I can get them so that I can sell them for $6-8 each.

They only weigh 0.1 ounces / 4 grams with the adhesive pad. They are made from two pieces of thin vacuum formed plastic.

I need to know if there is interest in having these for other planes.

Would you want red or white? I may get 100 white and 100 red to start with.

Nominations for any other colors?
Attachments
IMG_2834.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2836.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Re: Lightweight Pilots for EF1 and other planes

Post by ronin4740 »

Don,

I'll pass as none of the EF1 planes that I own which have clear canopies need any ballast (they're actually over weight) but I appreciate the offer
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

ronin4740 wrote:Don,

I'll pass as none of the EF1 planes that I own which have clear canopies need any ballast (they're actually over weight) but I appreciate the offer
If you can feel 4 grams on a 4 pound airplane, you are ONE HELL OF A PILOT :o :D
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

The scale tared.
IMG_2838.JPG
The pilot and adhesive pad on the scale at 0.1 ounces.
IMG_2839.JPG
The pilot and adhesive pad on the scale at 3 grams.
IMG_2840.JPG
So these pilots look good, weight is next to nothing, and don't cost a lot. I would like to hear from others. I will probably get them done because I know some Proud Bird people want pilots.

Greg Doe stripped a white Outrageous and covered it with MonoKote probably saving at least 2 ounces. He said the wing lost over an ounce. ToughLon is a bit heavy because of the way they make it so it is more opaque.

If you want to save some real weight use CoverLite https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... =coverlite ... Jim Katz used it on his Swee' Pea EF1 he won the NATS with a few years back. He may even still hold the record. He is ultra weight conscious, but he is an excellent pilot, designer, and builder. Winning takes all the right moves, right equipment operated to the nth degree, and some luck. He knows the dance. He also was flying RealFlight almost every day.

In the early 2000's, Gino Del Ponte started racing and practicing on RealFlight G2 using some Add-On courses and planes I created for Q40. A long course and a plane tuned very carefully by myself. Mike and Gino both used the Add-On's. It was a lot better than A,J. Seaholm's Q40 on the NMPRA site. I have some really good EF1 planes and an EF1 Course for RealFlight 6.5 and above. I have quite a few custom planes and courses I have created. I've been practicing to get ready for the racing I'm going to have on my field this year. I'm using setups for EF1, Club 40, and Warbird racing. With Crohn's I could have a flare at any time, but I have felt really good for most of this year. I will have someone else as a backup to run the races if I'm not up to it. I will be having once a month pylon races with combustion on Saturdays and electrics on Sundays. We're probably going to squeezze in some FPV quad racing as well.