F5D World Championships

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
KRProton
Super Contributor

F5D World Championships

Post by KRProton »

I've taken the liberty of posting the results of the Takikawa Cup; the two-day, warm-up, open contest prior to the WC. Entrants typically consist of friends, callers, extras to those competing in the WC. Unfortunately, it looks like the number of contestants is down. Usually you'll see the Russians, Germans, French and Swiss. Don't know why they are not in attendance.

Just the same, looks like the guys are doing well. I see that Jim is finding more speed and is improving each round. Right behind Bruce deChastle is very good as he's no slouch and wins all kinds of pylon contests regularly.

Tim
Attachments
37582365_1018360494987098_2257879412907180032_o.jpg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Re: F5D World Championships

Post by KRProton »

Well, the 2018 F5D World Championships is all over. I'd received a couple reports from Jim Nikodem and seen a couple posts on Facebook from Trey. In the two-day, eight-round Open contest the guy's times were dipping below the 60s, but the weather must have changed and they had a hard time finding the right combination of speed and run time, though Bruce Brown from San Diego was able to get it done pretty well. I've spent time with Bruce at two previous F5D WCs and he's a funny guy! He's very unassuming and quiet and seems to get quite nervous out on the course, but damn! Bruce knows where the freakin' course is and can get is plane around it! He's just a good pilot!

Looks like the turnout was smaller than usual, but I'm not sure why. We usually see the Germans, Russians, French and a full Swiss team.

You can see from the overall Team results the Australians barely edged out the US. I would have thought the Australians would have taken 2nd with the US and Japanese contending for the last podium spot. From what I've seen previously, the Japanese are always fast, but a little crazy out on the course. Looks like they're getting it together. We were "this close" to a podium at the last WC as well (but I was the weak link that time!).

Anyway, the deal with F5D is there are no specifications what-so-ever about the drive, other than up to only 5S LiPo may be used. That means you can use any motor, any propeller, any ESC, any battery size (capacity) - it's wide open (other than the plane must weigh a minimum of 1000g and a maximum of 65g/cm2). But, and it's a big but, you have a finite amount of energy that can be used - the planes carry an on-board energy limiter that limits the flight to 1000 Watt-minutes. If, for example, your setup consumes 500W, it will run for two minutes (to oversimplify - this doesn't take into account motor ramp, higher loads turing takeoff, etc.). If your plane is too slow or too fast there are various ways you can adjust the speed, but that also affects the run time. If, for example, you're getting only 9-1/2 laps before the limiter shuts off the motor, you'll want more run time so you'll need to slow the motor down (by using cooler batteries, less prop, lowering the motor timing, under-charging the batteries, etc., etc.). However, though this will extend the run time, your plane will also be slower, so it's a game of efficiency. This is why we are seeing 12 x 25 (or thereabouts) folding Saw props and single-blade props - guys are looking for efficiency.

For your interest, here is the final message I received from Jim before the final day's competition (four rounds per day over four days):

Guys,

Last day today. Trey got his Australian [BBR single-blade] prop going real well yesterday in practice. Bruce deChastel let him borrow one of theirs, which gave him over 11 laps, and pretty good speed. We got two flights on Trey's prop, twisting it for more pitch each time. Think we have it nailed. Last flight was a 60 with 11 laps, to we heated and twisted it some more. Trey has been struggling and has tried some of the single-blades we had made, two blade APC and Graupner, and he has tried the folder. Actually, I think the folder was only in the Open. Trey has struggled, but has a good attitude, and will get some good times today.

Bruce had a 200 yesterday (Pylon 1 and 3). We have had maybe one other cut in the world championships. We are not wide or long either. Bruce struggled early on, but has come back with some real good heats, especially yesterday. He has been using the Czech prop, and is leading the US team.

As for me, I have only flown two-blade in the WC. Have gotten some times around 60, pretty good times yesterday. Even on the second launch, I kept the Czechs at a comfortable distance. I am only flying my one old set of batteries. They allow me to swing a big prop with pretty good speed. Lots of variables and batteries seems to be one of them. I always considered all my batteries the same.

This will be it. We will see if we can beat the Japanese for third place team. Professional Photos from the web site.

Jim

If you want to puruse more results, images, etc., here's a link to the F5D and F5B web site including a photo gallery (takes the gallery a minute or so to open):

https://www.f5wcjapan.jp/program_category/f5d/

I also copied a couple images from the gallery and pasted below.

Tim
Attachments
2018 F5D WC results.jpg
f5_0723_0099.jpg
The Czecks are bad-asses! They make their own props, airplanes and even motors I believe. They seem to own this event (and are regulars on the F3D circuit as well).
The Czecks are bad-asses! They make their own props, airplanes and even motors I believe. They seem to own this event (and are regulars on the F3D circuit as well).
f5_0724_0345.jpg
f5_0724_0388.jpg
F5D WC Team.jpg