Outrageous and Scarlet Screamer

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
JSC
Super Contributor

Outrageous and Scarlet Screamer

Post by JSC »

Are the new World Models, Outrageous and Scarlet Screamer wings, any stronger than the previous ones?
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Re: Outrageous and Scarlet Screamer

Post by Greg Doe »

The ones we got earlier this year are fully sheeted. I've had no issues with mine.
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Greg Doe wrote:The ones we got earlier this year are fully sheeted. I've had no issues with mine.
Would the Outrageous and the Scarlet Screamer wings hold-up to the weight and speed of a 5 cell battery? 8)
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

Good question? I would think so. Depending on how you fly it. We pull around 40 G's in a pylon turn at number one pylon. Since you you won't be racing this in EF1, you could fly it in a "gentle" fashion. We can get about 2 minutes out of 335 gram 4s battery. If you go to a 5s stay close to that weight, and accept that your flying time will be reduced. The question is why?
JSC
Super Contributor

Post by JSC »

Greg Doe wrote:Good question? I would think so. Depending on how you fly it. We pull around 40 G's in a pylon turn at number one pylon. Since you you won't be racing this in EF1, you could fly it in a "gentle" fashion. We can get about 2 minutes out of 335 gram 4s battery. If you go to a 5s stay close to that weight, and accept that your flying time will be reduced. The question is why?
To fly a faster EF-1 8)
Chago_N20P
Super Contributor

Post by Chago_N20P »

"We pull around 40 G's in a pylon turn at number one pylon"

Greg, you realize that's about 140lbs of lift out of an EF-1, I don't think so.

Ahh, more like 20 G's, or less. 25 G's if you are really rough on the sticks :)
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

Chago, These numbers came from the F-1 days. We built our wings to withstand 200 lb. F-1 weight rule was 5 lb.The 40 g. number might be high, but I think your 20 g. number is low. Possibly someone else has more knowledge on the subject? Suffice to say that more then a couple of different EF-1's have experienced wing failure. I wouldn't want be around someone flying any EF-1 ARF that was both heavier, and faster then it was built for!
gsjames
Super Contributor

Post by gsjames »

Before he passed, Jerry and I were replacing the fiberglass tube with a carbon fiber tube. That completely solved the strength problem. I can provide more details if needed.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

gsjames wrote:Before he passed, Jerry and I were replacing the fiberglass tube with a carbon fiber tube. That completely solved the strength problem. I can provide more details if needed.
Gary,

Have several questions for you if you have the time and / or the will to answer.

Are you talking about the fiberglass tube in the fuselage of the Outrageous EF1 ARF kit / Scarlet Screamer EF1 ARF kit?

I was going to put Proud Bird EF1 ARF kits together for the OJA race in May, but I have more experience with the TWM planes and wasn't even thinking about having them on hand. They are in the garage and with the events over the past 6-8 weeks, I just didn't think about having them. I also have an old original silver one that I may put a constant chord wing on and make it N-A-Rush. I hated that they put the open bay wings on the initial batch. Seriously bummed me out when I took the first ones out of the box.

I got some TWM EF1 ARF kits to list on Amazon, but haven't had time with my Mac Mini and my personal Windows 10 desktop going down on the same day ... two weeks ago today (actually yesterday now). Lost the 16GB of RAM in the Mac Mini, and the hard drive was dying with 5 years of serious video editing stress on it. I replaced the hard drive Sunday night and I can edit video on the Mac now with a 2TB SSD/HDD Seagate FireCuda drive. I have three 4TB USB 3.0 drives attached to the Mac Mini and Time Machine saved my butt.The PC was back up last week with a new 8TB 7200 rpm drive and a new power supply. We had some serious electrical activity that day. Also lost a heat gun Cindy was using to shrink the bands on the filler jars and the Impulse Bag Sealer died too.

I will be bringing back the Outrageous EF1 laser cut kit / Scarlet Screamer EF1 laser cut kit. I have molds for fiberglass parts including the hatches in progress. I will be seeking approval for a Hershey bar Cassutt with a short and fat stabilizer. Don't know how it will work, but I'm going to give it a shot. Jerry was telling me that the low aspect ratio wings worked pretty well in EF1. Have you done a low aspect ratio wing on an EF1?

Do you know Casey Ann Erickson who flew in Biplane and F1 (Bronze, I think) at Reno this year? I got the full scale plans for the Erickson ER-1 (http://casey-erickson.com) and we're negotiating on terms. Her new plane she is building is based on a VSR SR-1 Snoshoo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VSR_SR-1_Snoshoo) tubing frame with new fuselage panels with only the frame being from the Snoshoo. I'm looking for some design help on EF1 and Q40 versions of it. EF1 first, then CNC molds for the Q40 in a year or two. Maybe more if I have to do the 3D modeling.

I have a FrSky 2.4GHz ACCST TARANIS X9D PLUS (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-2-4gh ... lsrc=aw.ds) for most of my FPV racing quads. I fly Spektrum DX9 or DX7 latest Gen on my Conspiracy 220, the Nano QX 3D, Nano QX, Blade Inductrix, and Blade Inductrix FPV quads.

I saw you created plane images for the Taranis.

I had tried to find non-S.Bus receivers for it. Ordered 2 that were supposed to be 8 channel from an overseas company through Amazon and never got the package. They were delisted by Amazon. Not a big loss, but I still don't have PWM receivers for it. It was around the time Cindy's colorectal cancer was diagnosed and my world pretty much stopped until early this year.

I have not learned how to update the transmitter. A friend has been taking care of the transmitter and building custom racing quads for me.

So I'm wondering what receivers to buy for PWM/PPM.

I did find the FrSky RX8R Pro 2.4G ACCST 8/16CH SBUS Telemetry Receiver (https://www.getfpv.com/frsky-rx8r-pro-2 ... _uEALw_wcB). I think what I had ordered was the original RX8R. The RX8R Pro looks to have eight standard servo outs.

I want to deep dive into the open source transmitters. I have done programs for WIndows for the Spektrum telemetry data analysis and would like to do it for the Taranis if there is not a good analyzer out there on Windows. I want to possibly do it on macOS also. I see that FrSky has an app on iPhone/iPad/Android. Have you used the mobile app and is it good?

http://StegallHobbyPark.com was actually a registered MultiGP Drone Racing League Chapter (https://www.multigp.com/) but we got dropped for not running any events last year. There are some pretty funny videos at http://stegallhobbypark.com/videos .. The rights to use the whole 10+ acre field and not just my 3.3 acres of it are resolved. Right now even our main 1.6 acre yard is soaking wet except in front of the house. So there may not be any organized racing on my field this year. I would be happy if it just dries up in time for me to get some Club 40 and EF1 practice on my home field in before the NATS.

I have one BIG project that will soon get time. The 125 inch wingspan TWM 50cc Pilatus PC-6 Porter. I already have the RotoMax 50cc electric motor, Castle 160 amp HV ESC, all servos (Hitec HS-5645 Digital Ultra Torque), regulators, receiver with TM1000 telemetry module, GPS sensor module, etc. Fai Chan thinks I will need more power than a 50cc, but I'm guessing I can get more out of the 50cc than a gas 50cc engine. It will weigh about 30 pounds with 12S1P batteries (2 6S1P in series). The Turnigy RotoMax 100cc will fit in the cowl if I have to go to more hp. If I do have power issues with the 50cc, my wife gave me a DLE-60 Twin a couple of years ago for Christmas, but I would like to be able to fly it on my field and not have to worry about gasoline fires. Plus I'm planning to put the Twin in the nose of the COLOR TILE I'm putting together as a Gold class plane for http://Warbird80.com racing. My goal for the P-51 is 160 mph.

Thanks if you have time to answer. All help is appreciated.

Don
gsjames
Super Contributor

Post by gsjames »

Gary,
Have several questions for you if you have the time and / or the will to answer.
OK, here we go.
Are you talking about the fiberglass tube in the fuselage of the Outrageous EF1 ARF kit / Scarlet Screamer EF1 ARF kit?
I am referring to the entire spar tube system. Jerry took a "step drill" and turned it down in his lathe to the O.D. of the fiberglass tube in the wing and fuselage. We CAREFULLY drilled out the entire tube and extended the cutout to the edge of the wing servo bay. We then installed an Estes BT-5 rocket body tube in the wing and fuselage (I.D. = 0.5") and used a longer 0.5" O.D. carbon tube for the spar. It eliminated the wing bending and made the plane fly much better.
Jerry was telling me that the low aspect ratio wings worked pretty well in EF1. Have you done a low aspect ratio wing on an EF1?
It is hearsay based on the success of the Estrellita. Whether or not it is actually true has not been reliably established. If there is an aerodynamic reason for it (and I doubt that) it is because you would be trading the reduced induced drag (Cdi) of a high aspect ratio wing for the reduced skin friction drag (Cdo) of a longer average chord due to higher Reynolds number.
Do you know Casey Ann Erickson who flew in Biplane and F1 (Bronze, I think) at Reno this year?
Nope, I have not been involved at Reno much in the last few years
I have a FrSky 2.4GHz ACCST TARANIS X9D PLUS
As do I, and several other racers. It seems to be a very good radio and can do things that other radios cannot.
I saw you created plane images for the Taranis.
Yes, I think that I posted them on the forum somewhere.
I had tried to find non-S.Bus receivers for it.
That's not important, you may be confused between the terms S-bus and SmartPort. Use any of the X4,6 or 8R series for pylon
I have not learned how to update the transmitter.
It is very simple when using the OpenTX companion software, it checks and updates it for you. Lots of YouTube videos available.
So I'm wondering what receivers to buy for PWM/PPM.
Use X4R, X6R or X8R and you can't go wrong. Use S6R or S8R if you want to experiment with stabilization. All have telemetry.
I want to deep dive into the open source transmitters.

The OpenTX firmware is open source and is easily available. I believe that it is written in C++
Have you used the mobile app and is it good?
I have not. I use OpenTX Companion on a MS Surface 3 running Linux Mint. It is small and light enough to take to the field but still big enough to read the telemetry data.

I hope this has been helpful.
Gary