Proud Bird Canopy

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
lovetofly1
Contributor

Proud Bird Canopy

Post by lovetofly1 »

I am building a Proud Bird and was wondering if anybody flying one has had a problem with the canopy coming off in flight? I'd like to be proactive in my build and would appreciate any input.Thanks.
twitte
Super Contributor

Re: Proud Bird Canopy

Post by twitte »

The Proud Bird canopy comes off a lot. You can either put a piece of tape on the top or ensure that the magnets are making the best contact that they can.

I have had several of these and it is hit or miss. One the magnets are sufficient and another I have to use tape.

Trey
lovetofly1
Contributor

Post by lovetofly1 »

Thanks.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

With a little mod, you can switch out to bigger rare earth magnets.

I will be putting another Proud Bird EF1 together for the OJA spring race. I will shoot video so you can see.

If you need 4-6 magnets, give me your address and I will mail them out tomorrow. For free.

I have molds in progress for all of the plastic parts and I plan to have the molds done by next weekend.

I'm going to do the cowl and wheel pants as well, but that will be later on.
Greg Doe
Super Contributor

Post by Greg Doe »

Larger magnets. You can get a package of 10 for around $2.00 from one of the Chinese outlets.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

Tape it at the back of the canopy at the top where it meets the fuselage and it won't come off.

I can fly it all day long in practice here in reno at ~5000' without losing one but down closer to sea level and in a heat they like to depart company with the airplane... The PB will still fly without the canopy... but you'll get lapped a few times before the end of the heat and they're a bugger to find in unmowed grass!
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

DonStegall wrote:With a little mod, you can switch out to bigger rare earth magnets.
If you need 4-8 magnets, give me your address and I will mail them out as soon as I get your mailing address. For free.

I have molds in progress for all of the plastic parts and I plan to have the molds done and ready for layups by next weekend.
Clarification: The molds I'm making are for producing fiberglass parts including the canopy which will have a clear insert option. The canopy shape was fixed so that it wraps around the joint between the cockpit and fuselage sides. Should be easier to keep on. Plus you can add another magnet at the top of the canopy and have it even more secure.
Attachments
IMG_0050_1024.jpg