How many batteries for a race?

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
MikeyD
Super Contributor

How many batteries for a race?

Post by MikeyD »

One of these days I'm actually going to finish my Proud Bird. Question, how many batteries should I have on hand for race day? Is two sufficient with 1 recharging between heats? I know it kind of depends on how many pilots and heats but for reference in CAPS we usually start a round with EF1 followed by 20-30 pilots in 426 before starting another round.

MikeyD
twitte
Super Contributor

Re: How many batteries for a race?

Post by twitte »

Mike,

I use one battery during the race. I have several, but typically test fly each one and see which is running well that day and use it for each heat. I do have another charged and ready just in case.

If all your batteries run strong, use them all.

Trey
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

2, I rotate between them.
Sparky
MikeyD
Super Contributor

Post by MikeyD »

Thanks everyone. What battery vendors are popular right now?

Mikey D
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

Hobby King, yes really!

Sparky
LittleViking
Super Contributor

Post by LittleViking »

I've had great success with HRB batteries, but the hobby king ones are good as well.
Leo Nordell
Bob_T
Super Contributor

Post by Bob_T »

Hobbyking Nano-tech 2700Mah 65-130C batteries are the "hobbyking" batteries most refer to. You can also get the new Spektrum 100C batteries (I think they are the 3200's) that use the "smart" connector and use the spektrum "smart" charger. Those seem to be popular, this year.
Dave Yost
Super Contributor

Post by Dave Yost »

Hey Guys!

I have recruited a new racer, my sport flying friend Alex. I gave him a Shoestring kit I had sitting round. We test flew it over the last few days. He is using some TP2200 4S packs that he had laying around, but I think they are too light with not enough capacity. He wants to order a few packs.

1. are the 2700 70C TPs good? What about the Nano-Techs? I see 65 to 130C ? the higher the C rating, typically the heaver the pack(?) what should he order?

2. Should we adjust the timing on the Eflight motor/ESC? or is it ready to go out of box? (its been several years since I did EF1, and can't remember what we did) the airplane seems slow, but I have been flying 426 the last few years so I am having a hard time re-calibrating my brain.

The goal is to have him ready for Winter-fest in Jan.

Cheers, Dave