EF1 motor shaft configuration

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
DHG
Super Contributor

EF1 motor shaft configuration

Post by DHG »

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered, but my forum search hasn't worked and the package insert instructions don't mention it ... I just got 2 new Avian (Rimfire under Spektrum label) EF1 motors and they appear to be set up for a "front firewall" installation. Obviously they need to be configured so the fixed portion (firewall and X mount) are in back and the spinning bell part is in front as God intended. I loosened the collet on the shaft where it comes through the bearing, but even with the set screw removed it doesn't want to slide off so I can't swap ends of the motor shaft. I don't remember the earlier Rimfires having this issue.

Before I use my vast collection of torches, hammers and cutting wheels, is there an easy way to deal with this?

Of course I could leave it as is, with 3/4" of shaft sticking backwards through a hole in the firewall and bolting that rigid threaded motor stud on the front, but it would be a lot more elegant with the shaft turned around so I could use a tapered collet or E-Flite spinner directly on the shaft.

I'm a bit disappointed these are being supplied this way since almost exactly 100% of the EF1 customers (as well as any potential E-Q500 customers) will want to use it in a rear firewall configuration, and it's marketed as an EF1 motor. But I'll do what I gotta do.

Thx,
Duane
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
KJF
Super Contributor

Re: EF1 motor shaft configuration

Post by KJF »

The real early Rimfire's came out the same as the new Avian, I didn't buy one because of this setup and won't be buying a Avian. GP's changed to the the collet set-up and works get.
I also hear that Horizon has no plans to change the design of the motor.
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

K, thank you ... glad I wasn't overlooking something simple.

FWIW, the Gator R/C vented spinners will work on these.
Tied for 1st going into Round 1
Sparky
Super Contributor

Post by Sparky »

I don't see a problem with the current setup, yep you have a hole in the firewall, Big deal. Think of it as a big pushrod hole :D. The trade off is that you can bolt the prop to a proper shaft mounted to the engine. What gives me the willies is the guys running collets to hold their props on I've seen the whole prop and spinner come off.
I have maybe 6 of these motors, the really amazing thing to me is there hasn't been a drop off in motor performance after years of flying based on downloaded data from ESC
90 seconds of full power and 30 minute rest between flights doesn't require scoops or vents or anything to keep your setup cool.
Sparky
Attachments
Almost all F-1's need an extension. I put a disc of sandpaper to make sure the spinner doesn't slip
Almost all F-1's need an extension. I put a disc of sandpaper to make sure the spinner doesn't slip
BDE0D9BC-79CE-4653-96C5-2553E280E2D2_1_105_c.jpeg (30 KiB) Viewed 629 times
CRG
Contributor

Post by CRG »

With Dan Kane's help, I've been working to get this motor updated to a more usable format for EF-1. Stay tuned.