Rimfire worn out?

A forum for electric pylon racing discussisons including Electric Formula 1.
Sparky
Super Contributor

Rimfire worn out?

Post by Sparky »

I have a Rimfire motor that really hasn't been flown a whole lot, however looking at the data from the Castle ESC it looks like it isn't turning as many RPM as my other motors I would estimate down 500-750 RPM at powerup. Is there any other way to judge motor health than RPM? Batteries vary so looking at AMPS seems problematic.... Is there any way to repair the motor and restore its performance?
Any special oil I should try or NOT try, change ball bearings anything that would get my power back up?
Sparky
kane
Super Contributor

Re: Rimfire worn out?

Post by kane »

Sparky wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:26 pm I have a Rimfire motor that really hasn't been flown a whole lot, however looking at the data from the Castle ESC it looks like it isn't turning as many RPM as my other motors I would estimate down 500-750 RPM at powerup. Is there any other way to judge motor health than RPM? Batteries vary so looking at AMPS seems problematic.... Is there any way to repair the motor and restore its performance?
Any special oil I should try or NOT try, change ball bearings anything that would get my power back up?
Sparky
Tim,

One thing I have learned is not to trust ESC data across different ESC's. My recommendation is to take that ESC and test with a different suspected better motor and see if the numbers jive. Long ago in my F5D days we shared data back and forth between team members and learned it wasn't accurate. Close enough, but not 500 close. Therefore, if you can test with a different ESC and let us know what you find.

DK