The Boni Toni as owned by John Brodbeck Jr of K&B

DonStegall
Super Contributor

The Boni Toni as owned by John Brodbeck Jr of K&B

Post by DonStegall »

Johnny Brodbeck Jr and my Dad Jim Stegall were good friends in the 1970's when Dad was producing the Stegall Minnow.

Junior sent Dad a photo of his Stegall Super Minnow, aka the Boni Toni, which was Dad's response to the Prather Little Toni.
Brodbeck Boni Toni Cropped #2 lower resolution.jpg
Dad got previews of a lot of the K&B 40 engines during development. He couldn't race them until they were released because of commercially available rule which was 100 engines minimum at the time I believe. I could fly them in C/L Speed though and did on multiple occasions. I also popped and burnt down a number of pistons with 60%+ nitro

Dad and I had a disagreement about whether it was the last version that was fattened up in the rear. I was right that it was the Boni Toni. In the second photo, you can see that Johnny has it labeled an titled the "Bow Knee Toe Knee", :)
Bow Knee Toe Knee.jpg
The concave back of the Boni Toni was from my reading about wing and fuselage intersections an how they were being done on light jets. So that design and who used it were burnt into my brain.

I'm pretty sure Greg Doe got the #1 scale judging position in a big race with a Boni Toni which pissed a number of people off. I think I even have the magazine handy.

Now that I'm back in full R/C, fiberglass, and mold making mode, I'm going to lay up all three versions I have of the Stegall Minnow and make new foam core templates I can use on my FeatherCut for tapered wings (I have one set up just for constant chord wings that never gets changed as it is setup perfectly) and start making epoxy male molds from the polyester molds and do epoxy molds so that I can join them in the mold and not have to use PVA. Epoxy sticks to polyester molds, at least old ones, unless you use PartAll PVA. I may add a fin/rudder and a stab saddle. I have a good wing that is not finished and I may make a molded composite wing and stab for the Minnows and Irwin Funderburk's Formula 1 El Bandito that he won the NMPRA Championship and the NATS with in the mid to late 70's.

I have most of the canopy molds except for the last two and I have canopies that have been waxed with PVA over that. The surface coat is already in them.