Judgement Wireless Light System

A forum to discuss the Race Program and report problems.
Marauderer
Super Contributor

Judgement Wireless Light System

Post by Marauderer »

I have in my possession a JLS and all the components for the displays are in wooden boxes painted flat black.

I am concerned about the heat in the South and plan on repainting the boxes gloss white. I also plan on cutting cooling holes in the bottoms of the boxes and on the top of the sides for cooling air to circulate.

I am looking for confirmation or reasons not to do that or that it doesn't need to be done.
Barry 14T
RSmith
Super Contributor

Re: Judgement Wireless Light System

Post by RSmith »

Hi Barry,
I live in "Kauffmann-land". I can confirm that is a good idea from a heat perspective. The systems in Muncie and Phoenix have had some trouble with heat. White is a good idea, although you may want to confirm that you still have acceptable visibility of the LED's using the white background. The black helps with visibility.

Covering the black wireless modem, that plugs into the computer, with white paper helps too.

Randy

Post by Marauderer »

Thanks for your input Randy. I was just going to paint the outsides of the boxes white. I was going to leave the inside black for the contrast with the lights. I will have to evaluate the front perimeter of the boxes to see if it affects seeing the lights. The actual turn lights at #1 will be covered half of the frame for the correct color for that lane.

I guess it would be best to do one of each first and then set up on the long course distance and evaluate the colors.

Does your system have cooling holes in the boxes. I didn't want to put any holes in the actual top in case they were outside when it started to rain it wouldn't get inside so easy.

I know the SEMPRA system is all gloss black as they bought the completed system from Tom Scott. I have talked to Scott Smith and he is planning on painting the black plastic cases white to help reject some of the heat. The SEMPRA system worked great at the Hodges Race last weekend and it was 94*F high that day with lots of sun.
Barry 14T
twitte
Super Contributor

Post by twitte »

Barry,

You could put louvered covers over to holes in the top. The holes in the top allow for effective release of the built up heat.

TW