Matrix Program Bug Workaround

A forum to discuss the Race Program and report problems.
ceandra
Super Contributor

Matrix Program Bug Workaround

Post by ceandra »

The matrix building program used by most races has a minor bug that can be really frustrating if you are trying to set a matrix and don’t know the workaround. I was fortunate that when I ran into it, I was able to reach Jim Allen and he walked me through a workaround.

I believe this bug primarily surfaces when you have a three-heats-per-round race (9 in 3 lanes or 12 in 4 lanes). When the teams are not complete (such as 3, 3, 2, 1 in a 9-man race), the program has trouble putting the 2 and 1 together, and the result is the program goes into an infinite loop and never gives control back. You need to kill the program in Task Manager. Repeated tries will not solve the problem. I have MAINLY seen this when (with 3 columns) you have a 3, 3, 2, and 1 for teams (or in a 4-lane, with 3, 3, 3, 2, 1). Remember, a blank space (if you only had 8 people, not 9) is essentially a self-generated 1-man team that never gets displayed.

The fix is a simple workaround. You simply need to make the 2 and 1 a 3-man team. If there is no 9th person, you cannot do that directly. But, you can add in a "fake" pilot with the name "Bye", "Blank", or some such. Just remember not to report that “extra” pilot as a count in the report to the points coordinator!

I have seen the same issue when 2 blanks are needed (again, you have a 1 man (real) team and a 2-man empty hidden team. I do not know if there is an issue if you have more "leftover" people (i.e., 3, 2, 2, 1, 1).

Bottom line, when this happens, you need to COMPLETELY BUILD each lane manually by assigning FULL TEAMS with as many members as there are heats in a round, in the above case, 3, 3, 3. Do this by creating fake people if needed. If there are multiple unteamed people (such as 3,2,2,1,1), draw names to make it random. The actual lanes for each team will be assigned by the computer, but the makeup of the team must be done by you.

I have ONLY seen this on a 3-row race (both 3 column and 4 column), but it “could” occur in other situations. If the machine locks up, likely you need to manually build the lanes by assigning teams as large as needed to fill each column. Remember, if at all possible, put all the “bye’s” in the same lane. Otherwise, when two byes race each other, you end up with a scheduled 1-man race.

I have also seen in slightly larger races (5 row) where the machine will end up assigning 3 or more byes. Most often this is due to teaming, and you need a pilot meeting to break up some teams (i.e., a 5-row with all 3-man teams). However, I think I have seen the computer come up with a wrong set with 3 byes when in fact there was an arrangement that could do it with no byes. Again, a manual lane assignment solves it.

Hope this helps in the future.

Chuck Andraka
11H
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Re: Matrix Program Bug Workaround

Post by RCjunkie »

Can you get it run from a tablet? Like Windows Pro 3
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W
ceandra
Super Contributor

Post by ceandra »

Kevin:

I have not tried. However, it is a windows program, so the only tablet I am aware of that it may run on would be the Surface Pro. I have not seen it tried on Windows 10, or even 8 for that matter, but I suspect it should work. There are not drivers or other issues to worry about. All printing is handled by and HTML browser, so that should not be an issue.

Its a free download, give it a try and see if it runs, and let us know!

Chuck
11H
RCjunkie
Super Contributor

Post by RCjunkie »

I have a Surface Pro 3 I will give it a try.
2 wrongs don't make a right But 2 Wrights makes a Airplane
Kevin Matney http://www.Matneymodels.com
734 - 848 - 8195
"IN GOD WE TRUST " 44W