Tutorials for Stabilization and Telemetry on Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky Taranis X9D, and more

Discuss and share radio setups for pylon racing and sport pylon racing
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Tutorials for Stabilization and Telemetry on Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky Taranis X9D, and more

Post by DonStegall »

Since a lot of people have not used stabilization on the Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky Taranis X9D, and other radios, I'm going to do threads and videos on how to use this technology on a range of radios.

I have the Spektrum DX9 Black Edition, the Spektrum, DX7 Gen 2, and the FrSky Taranis X9D. I think I still have a Futaba 8UAPS and an older JR radio that use FM. I have friends with the Futaba FAAST radios.

I will set up some Club 40 planes with SAS and telemetry. So I can do some testing. I will bring the planes to the NATS so some pilots can try it out on the grass site and possibly race with us in Club 40. It is best to work with it on 100 mph planes before you put it in 426 amd 422 planes.

Even if SAS and telemetry go away in pylon, you will see how to use it on sport and giant scale planes.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Tutorials for Stabilization and Telemetry on Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky Taranis X9D, and more

Post by DonStegall »

The Eagle Tree Systems Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer works with all PWM servos, analog or digital.

You can see the specs at http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Manuals ... 02D-3D.pdf

I will get one and show the use of it.

Futaba plots can use the GYA460 Six-Axis S.Bus Air Gyro using S.Bus to connect to the gyro unit ... While Chris Mulcahy has used it in sport planes, I don;t know about racing planes. From the manual at http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/gya460-manual.pdf it looks like it only supports PWM servos.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Tutorials for Stabilization and Telemetry on Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky Taranis X9D, and more

Post by DonStegall »

Here are a couple of videos of using telemetry on gas engines.

I will soon be testing some 424 and 422 engines using telemetry on the test stand. I use the TripodTestStand.com ... The 16" and 24" work great for glow engines. I was supposed to send one to Jim Allen last year, but the health issues got in the way. I will send him one so he can comment on it.

https://youtu.be/lUzpM72liuo

https://youtu.be/oAPnKbizdho

DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

As it turns out, the Futaba GYA460 6-Axis S.Bus EP Airplane Gyro is rated for Electric only.

I will get the Eagle Tree system and give it a workout. I know it works with nitro planes as there are a number of members at Charlotte Aeromodelers using them in glow planes.

I will get the HOBBYEAGLE A3 Super 3 6-Axle Gyro & RC Flight Controller Stabilizer Full Set - Program Card for RC Airplane to try out even if it is only for electrics.

I have been writing PWM for the servos. I actually meant PPM. Usually they are interchangable.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Scott,

I'm not probably going to open up my first FrSky s8R receiver. I might though.

But depending on what the PCB board looks like, it may be possibly to just remove it from the case and put shrink tubing on it except over the ports.

Then Velcro it down for a little vibration isolation.

My first one is going in one of these in red and white ... ClubWingman.com

Since my primary goal is to use the FrSky in EF1 planes to start with, I may go ahead and take the board out of the case to reduce weight anyway. Will keep you posted here.
Last edited by DonStegall on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronin4740
Super Contributor

Post by ronin4740 »

You do not want to use velcro to hold a stabilization receiver down - the receiver can move out of phase with the airplane. Using double sided foam receiver tape to both secure the stabilization receiver and also null some of the vibration out is a better method.

Surprised that the FRSky case couldn't take the vibration from the Nelson engine while a Spektrum receiver could... Removing it from the case and heat shrinking it is a good idea but you'd want a solid platform under the heat shrink to mount it on... Maybe using Hot Glue or Silicon caulking to mount the receiver board to a piece of ply and then heat shrinking it so there's a good, flat base for the receiver tape to adhere to?
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Re: Latest and greatest timing and deck height?

Post by DonStegall »

Terry Frazer wrote:Donny: I’ll see to it that Craig pulls his pants down so you and other sas pilots can spank him. Kind regards Terry
Terry,

I have to get my engines running well, planes set up, fly them and not crash, etc., before I can benefit from the technology.

I use stabilization and telemetry in sport and sport racing planes. I have not flown it in an AMA/NMPRA class plane.

I may not even turn on the stabilization in my Q40 planes. Until I can fly them by feel and know what I'm getting, it will not get turned on. Except maybe at launch. I will probably be flying the Swee' Pea Q40 at OJA if it survives test flights and practice. I will put stabilization in most planes I put together now.

Looking forward to seeing you at OJA and the NATS.

I might put the FrSky system in a little P-51 Voodoo I have ready for radio and propulsion gear since the 8 channel Rx will fit in it with no problem. If it works well in that, it is a good system. I had a HobbyKing OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer w/DSM2 Compatible 6CH 2.4Ghz Receiver in one of the P-51 EP planes and it made it fly like a bigger plane, especially in wind.

I'm home from the hospital now and need to finalize a task at work (Wells Fargo) this afternoon if I don't fall asleep from the Benadryl and other pre-meds.

This is an older video, but it was good for me, as I got to see what I had done with the Voodoo plane earlier. I often just run the video in record when I'm working at my video taping table now. Most of what I do just hits the floor. Sometimes it is useful to see where I messed something up or got something right.

Donny Stegall
7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07KVblfmj1U

Last edited by DonStegall on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

Jason Oliver posted on my personal Facebook page an attack on my posting on the NMPRA forums.

I'm documenting what I do and learn so others may benefit from what I learn and do.

I have taken a deep dive into OpenTX and FrSky radio equipment. I have a lot more to share including a lot of stabilization and telemetry work. I have many new videos in progress.

He stated that no one wants to see this stuff and that I need to stop posting here and wasting people's time.

I don't care about the people that don't like what I write and do.

If only one person besides me benefits at all, I feel it is worthwhile.

I get lots of emails, so I know that what I do matters to some people.

But I can shift all of my posting to Facebook and RCPRO.

If you want to see more or if you at least find what I'm doing informative or somewhat interesting, please post a message here so I know and others know.
DonStegall
Super Contributor

Post by DonStegall »

I may not get anymessages here publicly, but I have gotten a lot of Facebook messages and emails of support.

It seems some people try to do for aviation and the pylon world like what I do after all.
Don I just read that guys post on your posting bout racing events. Don't let him bother you. You do so much to keep guys like me following the aviation flying world of RC etc. Just keep on doing what your doing and do what you can or fly when you can. You been though so much past few years with your health issues and such glad your still hangin in there with RC and such. I am thankful for guys like you to have in the hobby you are an book of knowledge... Hang in there bud !! Friends always !!! Hope your Wife is doing good too, I know yall had a tuff past couple of years. Prayers and Blessing Continued to you !!
If he is a NMPRA member then how can he hijack a site? Just a question I am not nor do I go to that site however I do see that he is trying to help promote and save a dying sport. You can’t fault a guy for having passions. I find a lot of his posts on both his personal page and other club pages informative and have learned some new things from them. I think that in this hobby we should all just accept that we are all different and if you see something you don’t want to see you can scroll on but someone else may find it enjoyable. Just my honest opinion.