Evolution .46 NX discontinued???

This forum is for discussing 424 related topics and asking or answering questions concerning entry level Q500 racing.

Topic Author
lovetofly1

Evolution .46 NX discontinued???

Postby lovetofly1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:26 am

What is going on with the Evo .46 NX? It appears Horizon is discontinuing the Evolution .46 NX and replacing it with EVOE100. The engine looks very similar but the bore and stroke appear slightly different. Also the picture on Horizon's site shows a 2 piece muffler.

Can anyone clear this up?

Bob_T
Super Contributor
Flag: United States of America

Re: Evolution .46 NX discontinued???

Postby Bob_T » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 am

The port configuration on the Trainer Power System (EVOE100) engine is not the same as the .46nx. So, even though the sleeve will physically fit and "look" ok, the ports/port heights on the nx sleeve do not line up very well with the ports on the TPS crankcase, and vice-versa (if you put a TPS sleeve in a NX case). Don't know if it would run, or run poorly or ??? I just happened to notice this because we had a crankcase that we thought was an NX case, but it was actually a TPS case (they "look" the same, except for the marking on the engine mount rail, as I found out) and I noticed that the ports were way off when I put the NX sleeve in it. Didn't finish putting it together, so I don't know what the outcome might have been. That case went in the trash so I didn't have to worry about it inadvertently getting mixed into the "EVO parts box" .... this is all just fyi. The TPS used to be the engine supplied as part of their "ready to fly" Hangar 9 Alpha trainer plane package and a couple of other "ready to fly" planes.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, and I do not know why they discontinued it, but this is some information about the differences in .46 nx and the .46 TPS that I learned.

kane
Super Contributor
Flag: Ireland

Postby kane » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 am

The official word from Horizon is that the EVO motor is not discontinued. Stock will be available towards the end of this year into the beginning of next.

DK

allang46
Super Contributor

Postby allang46 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm

I have a new one listed in the For Sale section.
If you can't wait til the end of the year.
This comes with extra head shims, extra needle valve and extra gasket and bolts for the muffler.
Last edited by allang46 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

allang46
Super Contributor

Postby allang46 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:06 pm

:o SOLD IT.

Return to “AMA 424 Discussions”