Your latest creation

Pylon Racing General Interest --
kane
Super Contributor

Re: Your latest creation

Post by kane »

MLH wrote:DK,

Good advice, in fact I often don't listen to myself either! I do tend to fly tail heavy airplanes. However I must say after over 4 decades of racing pylon I have found that a slightly nose heavy airplane is more stable and easier to fly than a slightly tail heavy airplane. That said, a slightly tail heavy airplane is faster than a slightly nose heavy airplane. So everyone should fly slightly nose heavy airplanes as I need all the help I can get! :D

Mike
Mike,

I am specifically referring to the moment in time when I asked for the CG of the sidewinder many moons ago. You gave me a number, I set it there and proceeded to do a snap roll and took off inverted on the first flight. Eventually landed the airplane, asked someone else... And the CG number was nearly 3/4" different. :o

Some people aren't as good of a pilot as you and cannot handle an airplane with the CG so far back. I am not worthy, I am not worthy.

DK
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

kane wrote:
KRProton wrote:

Good advice, in fact I often don't listen to myself either! I do tend to fly tail heavy airplanes. However I must say after over 4 decades of racing pylon I have found that a slightly nose heavy airplane is more stable and easier to fly than a slightly tail heavy airplane. That said, a slightly tail heavy airplane is faster than a slightly nose heavy airplane. So everyone should fly slightly nose heavy airplanes as I need all the help I can get! :D

Mike
I don't think you need any help Mike! :mrgreen:

Just to further the discussion (and I'm not telling you anything you don't already know), the throws and C.G. work together. It's just that I recalled the throw on Danny Coe's Sweet Vee that he loaned me to finish the rounds at Wichita had such little throws - like 2mm up elevator maybe. With my limited experience, that seemed small to me, but the plane was easy to fly around the course (much like my first Quik-V6 when set up per Jim Allen's throws which also seemed minimal to me). As I continued to dial in my own Sweet Vee I moved the C.G. back while reducing the throws until it handled gently like Danny's - and I liked it! :D

Tim
Tim,

Not exactly always the case. You can get away the notion when the tail moment and tail area work out in your favor. However, when you have a small horizontal stab or a short tail moment, you may need more throw to get your desired result. Prime example is the Polecat or Supercat, when the CG gets too far back it is a hot mess. So what do you do? Move the CG forward and give it more throw, and it flies like a champ.

DK
10-4!

Surely, there are limits.

Thanks man! :mrgreen:
MLH
Super Contributor

Post by MLH »

DK,

You are a real pilot when you snap on takeoff and fly out inverted. Most likely it was my mind that failed on the measurement or else you heard what I said and not what I meant!

Mike
kane
Super Contributor

Post by kane »

You are a real pilot...

Mike

I guess real pilots have to change their underwear after the first take off with a new bird. Because I did!

DK
aseaholm
Super Contributor

Post by aseaholm »

I came to this thread to see cool airplane pics, not to hear about DK's 20 year old undies. C'mon guys, focus. :)

Here's my contribution. Working on GeNext racer.
Attachments
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Guess what year
Attachments
image.jpeg
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

1849?
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Your close
rocket
Super Contributor

Post by rocket »

1984 beers ago..
And I said, here am I send me.
delateurj
Super Contributor

Post by delateurj »

Dara test hopped and coursed trimmed 2 weeks ago.

and...

Second Dara ready for test hop tomorrow

Really its two planes...my caller likes I keep them looking the same..happy caller/wife...happy life.

- Joe.
Attachments
IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

See you next week.
Tom
123READY TURN
Speedfreak1
Super Contributor

Post by Speedfreak1 »

Terry Frazer wrote:Guess what year
Terry, Looks like about the same year as my old IROC Camaro! Lol I had a similar looking House of Balsa version at about the same time :)
IMG_2799.JPG
Speedfreak1
Super Contributor

Post by Speedfreak1 »

Speedfreak1 wrote:
Terry Frazer wrote:Guess what year
Terry, Looks like about the same year as my old IROC Camaro! Lol I had a similar looking House of Balsa version at about the same time :) Kurt
IMG_2799.JPG
iamtom
Super Contributor

Post by iamtom »

See you next week.
Tom
123READY TURN
KRProton
Super Contributor

Post by KRProton »

RSmith wrote:Tim / Dan
I have been flying most all of my Sweet-V's including the one I bought from Dan at 2-3/8" with no problems.
I like the response. The original that I bought from Darrol way back, was at 2-1/16" and I could hardly turn it with my normal throws.

Dan, your red Sweet-V is now in the hands of Kevin Moorehouse. He will treat it well. It may be in Phoenix as a backup.

Randy
Just a quick confirmation;

I flew both of my Sweet Vees Saturday with C.G. @ 2-5/16" - one was the maiden, the other was a re fly after new fuel tank installation (and removal of tail ballast accordingly). I have the elevator throws documented, but I forget what they are at the moment (low-rate: 1/16" up, 1/32" down??? - I'll confirm later).

Anyway, both planes fly well and are very comfortable around the course.

Thanks for all your previous comments/input on this subject. :mrgreen:

Tim
Attachments
Tim, Art.jpg