CMAD Too Sweet build thread

Pylon Racing General Interest --

Topic Author
KRProton
Super Contributor
Flag: United States of America

Re: CMAD Too Sweet build thread

Postby KRProton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Here's a few pics of the final product as of late last night.

I wanted to slap some paint on to make it look like my Sweet 1, but I don't have the time right now to go all the way, so it'll just be the black wing tips and elevators for now (and a canopy too!).

So I scuffed up the tips and elevators, masked it off and got out into the garage around 6:00pm last night. I emptied the solvent from my touchup gun and when I went to reach for my black paint...it wasn't there. Crap! My paint is at work! :evil: No way I can get in there, so off to the Advance Auto Parts where they have a paint department in the way back. I wanted a single-stage (no clear coat), but the regular paint guy wasn't there, so another guy and I figured out and $30.00 later I had another pint of black paint! If any of you need some black auto paint I can give you some because I have a lifetime supply!

So here's the finished job. Final weight is 4.25lbs. C.G. is @ 4-1/16".

Tim
Attachments
046.jpg
047.jpg
048.jpg

Topic Author
KRProton
Super Contributor
Flag: United States of America

Re: CMAD Too Sweet build thread

Postby KRProton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:10 pm

This will be my last available weekend to fly before the Champ race, so out to the field I went where I met my buddy Art Pesch who held and launched the plane for me. It was a strong crosswind from the left, but the plane leapt off the ground easily. I guess Tom Scott's wing potting technique works well because as you can see, took only two clicks of aileron trim! :mrgreen:

The elevator was way too hot, but I finally did a full pull around "1" and she didn't even think of snapping. Good news, but that elevator throw has to be reduced!

A bouncy landing, but the maiden is in the books and only problem I can see is the elevator throw.

I put up a couple more flights and got her down on the course. Flies good, looks great and can't wait to try it in a race!

Chip Hyde was there too and commented that she was flying nose-down, so I added two clicks of right rudder between flights, then two more clicks during the flight, then three more after the flight.

I'll throw some more paint at it in the off-season, but for now this was a quick build (I got the plane Thursday, September 21 for a nine-day build!).

And Mike Helsel - if you're out there - I installed the tank facing forward! (Though I still opted to use a fueling dot as you may see). :mrgreen:

All's well with this Too Sweet!

Tim
Attachments
049.jpg
050.jpg
051.jpg

Return to “General Discussions Q500 & Q40”