Pylon Racing General Interest --

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor
Flag: United States of America

Cliff And Nancy Telford Memorial Scholarship Fund

Postby iamtom » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi All,
This year I am getting a head start on the raffle. I will have tickets available at the Phoenix Classic race. The format is a bit different in that there are several prises to choose from. See attached picture for a list of participants and prises. There will be more than just one winner for a change. As you may know we raised over $5000 last year. Let's see if we can match or better it this year. Last year AMA reached a significant milestone. It the history of the AMA's Scholarship efforts they have raised over $1,000,000. The pylon community has helped make this happen over the last several years.
We can all be proud of our contribution.
IMG_3175.JPG

Thanks in advance for your support.
Tom Scott
AMA 701
123READY TURN

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Re: Cliff And Nancy Telford Memorial Scholarship Fund

Postby iamtom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi all,
Just a reminder about the tickets for the Telford fund this year. See the previous post for details.
Also on the east coast or North East see Lloyd Burnham for tickets, North Carolina see Mike Helsel and on the west coast see Mario Salazar. The guys have been very helpful in spreading the word and helping with the fund raising. Great Prizes and all.
Also If you did not hear, Dennis Cranfill won the Phoenix race this past February with the Miss Dara he won 2 years ago.
I will also be around with tickets available at any time. If you want I can mail them to you with no problem.
$20 each 6 for $100.
All the best to all you racers have fun and go fast.
Tom
123READY TURN

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Postby iamtom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Another note,
If you think you can make a difference in your area by selling tickets let me know. I will see that you get some. Anyone in the Texas area willing or interested?
We are the only AMA SIG making this effort. I will be challenging other SIGS on this in the future. Together we can make a difference. AMA has recognized us for this . We need to make this important to the full membership. It is who we are. Please share your support. Engage your local club. The reward is great for our next generation. Good for all of us. Support responsible modeling.
123READY TURN

DonStegall
Super Contributor

Postby DonStegall » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:13 am

Tom,

I have not made a contribution so far. But I will this year as I am active in racing again and am planning to attend the full week+ of activities at the 2017 Pylon NATS as long as my job and my family situation allows for it. I will contribute regardless.

A few weeks ago, my 81 year old Dad who was great friends with Cliff Telford and Bob Violett was diagnosed with Lymphoma. He had surgery on Tuesday. He is doing ok, but he is likely going to have to have chemo if it is not too advanced. So I don't know for sure what the summer holds for my family.

I can help in this effort a couple of different ways. I could set up a web site hosted on the Microsoft Cloud specifically for this effort. Or it could be added to the NMPRA web site if the webmaster can add it, and I will get a domain name set up that will redirect to the location on the NMPRA site. And I could set up a Facebook page so that their is a place people can access information and post contribution commitments or comments on any internet connected device.

About my Dad. Jimmy Stegall created the Stegall Minnow in about 1970-1971. The original plug was carved from pine. It was essentially a clone of I believe the Stafford Cosmic Wind (Super Minnow?). A year or two later, a skinnier version was made. Then a new version was made when the rear exhaust schnuerle K&B came out. The SuperTigre X40 came out during this time. Then Dad created the infamous Stegall Super Minnow (aka the Boni Toni) after Terry Prather came out with the Prather Lil' Toni. Because of the backlash to the super skinny plane another version was create. Dad's plane and Terry's plane battled it out in the early to mid 70's. There are some people from that era that I believe should be considered for the NMPRA Hall of Fame like D.C. May, Harold Coleson, Irwin Funderburk (1975 NATS F1 Champ), and my Dad.

During all of this Dad worked with Bob and Cliff to create the fiberglass fuselage for the World Championship winning BOBCAT. The fiberglass fuselage was used on their 2nd and 3rd World Championship wins.

I have the molds for that plane and have laid one up. I have been commissioned to build one for someone and I have to make new wing templates. I'm laying one up this week for Paul Bardoe in England.

At the minimum I will provide a BOBCAT fuselage and wing core kit for your raffle. If I can get it done, I will build an extra one that is paint ready for the raffler. I may not make it this year with the built one, but if it will add to the cause, I will do a built one for next year.

Dirk Van Zuidmm sent some BOBCAT photos to me to post on https://www.facebook.com/rcpylonmemories/. Please post the scholarship information to the Facebook page, or email it to me and I wil put it on there.

If you want a web address for the effort just propose one and I will see if I can get it. Or give me a call any time between 8 am and 8 pm, except 1:00 - 2:00 pm EDT M-F.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Postby iamtom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:55 am

Just a friendly reminder. I am happy to mail tickets if you prefer. Tickets are $20 each or 6 for $100.
Tom
123READY TURN

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Postby iamtom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi all,
Suprise, NATS is in 2 weeks. The NATS is the bigest event and the best time to support the Telford Scholarship fund. We are the leaders in the effort to make a difference in Scholarship donations to the AMA. What better place to show your stuff than the NATS at Muncie. Please bring a couple of bucks extra to support this great cause. There is a little over 100 of the 300 tickets printed. The prides are listed in the beginning of this thread leftists and . Great prizes by some very generous and special people. Please make a difference and support the hobby we all love so much. The next big race is the Champ race in Oct. it is my hope we will have the last ticket sold by then and we can hold the drawing there.
Tom
123READY TURN

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Postby iamtom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am

More prizes donated to the raffle. After the Warbird race at theNATS where 3 YS 115 WB series engines were donated to the event by our most recent HOF inductee Richard Verano, Robert Holik of APC propellers won both Silver and Gold class. He donated one of these great motors to our Telford fund.
I personally have 43 tickets left. Lloyd Burnham has tickets on the Newengland area, Mike Helsel in the Carolinas and Mario Salazar on the West coast. See the complete list of prizes earlier in this post. It looks like the drawing will take place at the Champ race in NC in October.
123READY TURN

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Postby iamtom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:47 am

I mentioned briefly about tickets left for purchase. Feel free to contact any of us to purchase your Telford tickets before the Champ race in October. Sales are going along pretty good so far but still some left. Only 300 being sold. This is a very important activity that so many of you have helped to support over the years. I have said it many times that we are the only AMA Special Interest Group that does anything like this. I am proud of all the NMPRA members and all other Pylon racers across the country who have participated. Again, Lloyd Burnham, Mike Helsel , Mario Salazar and myself all have tickets for sale. Please call , e-mail or message any of us for purchase and we will mail them to you.
Be Proud and participate. October is not that far away.
The NMPRA Raffle at the banquet is a sponsor as well. Proceeds from this raffle are being donated to the cause as well.
There are a lot of very nice prizes being donated by some very special people. Please thank them for helping make this happen.
Keep Racin and join in.
All the best.
Tom
123READY TURN

Topic Author
iamtom
Super Contributor

Postby iamtom » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:28 am

Hi All,
Over this past weekend of exciting racing and good times, we also reached a to sell 300 tickets to support the Telford Scholarship Fund. As a result, we, as the membership of the only SIG to do such an effort will be donating $6,300.00 to this fund. $930 came directly from the NMPRA from the Banquet at the NATS. The rest is from ticket sales. Special thanks to Mario Salazar, Mike Helsel and Lloyd Burnham for reaching out in their areas. We should all be proud of this effort as you made this happen. AMA is very thankful for our continued support and I am encouraging them as I do you to pass along the challenge to other SIGS you might be involved with.
This should be a solid movement to keep AMA engaged in the future of our great sport.

And for the results of the Raffle:
1- JR Americas XG8 TX/RX went to Pat Galarneault
2- Aero Racing Engines N-40 went to Mike Eden
3- Randy Etken's R-200 Quickie model to Ron Gage
4- Performance Model Products(Dennis O'Brien) 426 Jett Motor to Mike Deneve
5- CMAD Too Sweet to Mike Masi
6- Team JR Members JR Flight pack, servos and battery Terry Frazer
7- APP Advanced Pylon Products Flight stand to Mike Masi
8-BB Wheels Mike Helsel 6 pairs to Gary Gibson, Martin Jop, Bryan Batch, Lloyd Burnham, Duane Hulen and Mario Salazar.
9- YS-115 from Robert Holik (APC) to Joe Delatuer
10-Line box kit from Me Joanne Coffey

Congrats to all who participated and to the winners.
Thanks again for all of your support for the NMPRA and AMA.
Tom
123READY TURN

Randy Etken
Super Contributor

Postby Randy Etken » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm

R-200 that Ron Gage won. R-200 was 9 out 10 in NMPRA district 5 this year.
Attachments
r-200 ron.jpg
I feel the need for speed!
http://WWW.Q500Racing.com

Return to “General Discussions Q500 & Q40”