DeLand Florida Air Races

Pylon Racing General Interest --

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor
Flag: United States of America

DeLand Florida Air Races

Postby airplanescotty » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:14 pm

OK,, our Other New Florida pylon race is Inked-In!!!!

This race will be a Two Day Q-40 race,, just like the Champ race! April 28 & 29, Deland, Florida, West side of Hwy 96,,, near Daytona!

The DeLand Golden Hawks RC Club is on the deserted North End of the Municipal airport. The entire runway is 100 X 2100+. :roll: :roll: The pretty part is 50 X 400. Number three pylon will be at the runway's edge so we will be landing like at the Nat's!!!

The Golden Hawks club has 25+ years experience with large RC Events, Giants & Florida Jet's, they have a full kitchen and love to cook! The community will be aware of our event as will as neighboring RC Clubs! Parking and RV dry camping is abundant :) :P :D

DeLand Golden Hawks Web-Site ~ http://www.delandgoldenhawks.com

"M" and I are meeting with the board members on November 8th to discuss our race expectations, give them details as far as "What to Expect", get lodging deals going, create a race flyer, etc. etc, etc,.

If successful,, good pilot attendance and continued Club enthusiasm,, this venue will easily support any and all future Large, World, or International pylon events!

XXOO

Scotty & Maureen
QTR Racing

dagored
Super Contributor

Re: DeLand Florida Air Races

Postby dagored » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 pm

This is Excellent News , way to go Scotty & Maureen

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 am

I think the rubber just hit the road :lol: :roll: :lol:

All the paper work is complete, Sanction is approved, we even have the Event & Flyer on the Web-Site. :D :) :roll: :P :) :D

I think the Timing is perfect,,, plenty of time to recover the fleet from Phx, get all the bugs worked out,,, get the thumbs back in sync,, Two great days of Q-40 competition and then head North for the remainder of our racing season,,, Well Alrighty Then :wink: :wink:

Oh,,,, At the Club's request, we changed the Event Name to add "RC". The Club is very excited,, and will actively pursue community involvement/attendance and due to the proximity of the the race to the VERY BUSY DeLand Municipal Sky Diving airport,, they are trying to avoid any confusion :o :o

2018 Deland.pdf
(316.22 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
QTR Racing

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Forgot to mention,,,,,, :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Club will be getting Hotel & Motel deals after the New Year!!! So keep checking for Updates :D :) :P

I really like the way the Golf Carts retrieved airplanes at the Champ race!!! Since we have such a large area, am thinking this would be a great time saver,,,, Will pursue a deal here as Well!!!! :lol: :lol:

Wish me luck!!!

Scotty
QTR Racing

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

OK,,,, One New race, Tavares Invitational, is in the Books,,, one to go,, DeLand Air-Races ~ Oh Boy!!! :P :lol:

Tavares was a HUGE success, Pilots loved the Venue, Workers are ready for next year,,, the only negative was,, a VERY cold front went thru on Saturday, ,, and Sunday improved!!!!

OK, so now onto DeLand ~ April 28 & 29!!! A Two day Q-40 competition, Trophy's to 5th place and Fast Time! The RC runway is pretty, black-top, 500 X 50 I think,, docent really matter however because if you miss it you have about 2150 X 400 left, abandoned runway :D :) :P :roll: :wink: :o :o

I have had many express knowledge of this venue from years past,, so most of you know what to expect!!

The Snack Shack is alive and well, Dry Camping is permitted, Porta Potty's, and plenty of parking! They have a covered pavilion area for eating, so bring your Canopy's and chairs!

Event planning with the Club officers is active. Maureen, Myself and my Co-CD Greg Cardillo will be meeting with DeLand officers in a couple weeks,,, Hotels are being solicited for group discounts and will be posted as soon as we get a couple :roll: :roll:

An altitude restriction will be enforced, active airport just next door :-? :o ,, AMA cards must be presented, Safety Inspection consisting of demonstration of functional Fail-Safe!

Scotty
QTR Racing

RB
Super Contributor

Postby RB » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Scotty,

Do we pit on the asphalt or concrete? Want to be prepared for anchoring my canopy on a hard surface.. thanks man! Appreciate all you do and are doing..

Randy Bridge

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm

There is a BIG long fence separating the grass from the runway. I am pretty sure we will be behind the fence on the grass !!!

I am meeting with the club, at the field,,, in a couple weeks,, and will finalize the course layout and will be in a better position to give you a definitive answer :D :D :P :roll: :o
QTR Racing

Joe Tropea
Super Contributor

Postby Joe Tropea » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:55 am

Any update on hotel info?

Looking for a Marriot in the area.

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 am

Hey Joe,, Looking on the internet and don't see Marriot in Deland. There are however three just South of Deland,, and all very close to Hwy 4!

I think DeLand may be the BW/Comfort Inn/Days Inn/Travelodge sort of places :P :wink: :roll:

I have a EM off to the Club to see what deals they have come up with and will update soon I hope :D :D

Scotty
QTR Racing

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:25 am

Motel for DeLand!

The club was looking at two hotels close to the field but one said,, they could not accommodate another group that weekend! Demand is very close to Daytona Speedway,, might have something to do with that?????

So call Comfort Inn soon, mention "Pylon Race" and make sure ya got your room!!!

Comfort Inn, 400 E. International Speedway Blvd. DeLand, FL 32724, Manager Derek Poineau, 386-736-3100, derek.poineau@HDGhotels.com
Newly remodeled and very nice motel 3.5 easy miles from the field gate and a large choice of restraunts within half a mile.

Breakfast is restaurant style with bacon or sausage, eggs or omelet, French toast, waffles, coffee, juice and is included in the price. Very nice eating area.

Normal rate for weekends is $140.00 and up. He will do $126.00 for Friday / Saturday and $81.00 for Thursday or Sunday.

There are other places in Deland, so shopping is an option,, Comfort Inn closest and all that :lol: :roll: :o :P

Scotty
QTR Racing

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am

I just talked to the Deland Comfort inn manager, Derek,,, and he DID say April is busy,,, weddings and such,,,, since we have no history as to lodging availability in this area and at the April timeframe,, It may be prudent to book early :o :P

Mention Derek and "Pylon Race" :wink: :)
QTR Racing

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am

The other thing that just occurred to Scotty was,,,,,,, We will be competing at the abandoned North End of an Active Airport!!!

The DeLand Miniciple airport is supposedly the most active Sky-Diving airport in the country or East of the Mississippi,, or something like that,,,, :lol: :roll: :o

As an Ole GA Pilot,, I know this could mean the "FAA" could be hanging around,,, based on personal experience,, those guys just love to show up for an Impromptu inspection :oops: So,,,, "Numbers on the Planes",, gentlemen :D :D

Event planning is Active, course layout will begin this weekend, My Co CD and I are meeting with Club officer to get everything rolling! I just received word that we will have more pilots at DeLand than Tavares,, which means we will most likely be flying 4 plane heats!!!

4 Plane heats are so much more exciting,, like the good Ole days :lol: :o :P :wink: !!!

Finally,, ,, At Tavares we had a AMA EXPIRED,, "Sneaker Pilot" competing,,, Scotty's Bad!!,,, Plan on having your AMA Cards with you at time of registration :o :roll: :D
QTR Racing

dwc1
Super Contributor

Postby dwc1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:24 am

Scotty,

Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue, but I've been trying to book a room, and they keep telling me there is no group.

Topic Author
airplanescotty
Super Contributor

Postby airplanescotty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Just called, they have no idea of our group rate,, will call the Mgr tomorrow morning 8:30 sharp :-)

Sorry, Florida work force not the greatest on this continent :oops: :roll: :o :x :twisted:
QTR Racing

cbk07
Super Contributor

Postby cbk07 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

For what it’s worth, the special group rates quoted above are the same as their AAA rates on their website. If you don’t mind paying in advance, the rate is even better than what he offered us

Here is the pay in advance rate

7B1C541A-9FCC-4B72-B249-70013DFA386D.png

Return to “General Discussions Q500 & Q40”