Ed Smith

Pylon Racing General Interest --
cpaine
Super Contributor

Ed Smith

Post by cpaine »

Well, I hate to report, but our good friend Ed Smith has passed away early yesterday morning. he was 82yrs old.
Eds health has been deteriorating over the last few years and was not well. Ed and his family are finally at peace.

When I grew up in this pylon racing world, Ed smith was one of our originals. He was my dads friend and became my friend, age difference was never an issue. those guys embraced me and i was always one of the "gang". this friendship lasted years! when my Dad couldn't make the races, Ed and I were on the road! always laughing then on the way home, going over all the ways to lose a race! lol

Ed was passionate about model airplanes as hobby since he was a kid, and really enjoyed the comradery and competition of pylon racing when he moved to Canada. UPRC.
you can read his profile here...

http://www.nmpra.net/pilotsEdSmith.htm

when the racing started to die off in Canada, he went further into the states to race in the CAPS circuit where he became quick friends with this group and had friendships that lasted a life time

His resume and accomplishments proceed him. He contributed at all levels of the pylon world from kit building, glass work, drawing plans competing in both Canada and the US, then to compete at the World champs through out the 90s. his wife Marion, always at his side. he was the MAAC Zone Director (Area VP) and Pylon sub-committee chair.

If you knew Ed, you had to know him... and if you didn't, then that is your loss! His sense of humor and wit could leave you speechless at times.

Cheers
Cory

pics
- Ed relaxed before Race Day at Muncie with his little friends
- Ed Best finish at the US nationals - 5th in Q40
- Ed with the Canadian team - Muncie i believe... other in the pic are Gary Gau, Brent holmes, Harold Sattler and wife, and Roy Andrassy and of coarse Marion, Eds wife.
Attachments
Ed muncie.jpg
Ed an I 5th.jpg
Ed 95worldchamps.jpg
G.Freeman Jr.
Super Contributor

Re: Ed Smith

Post by G.Freeman Jr. »

Very sad news. Ed was a great man. Prayers for his family.
Dr.Doolittle
Super Contributor

Post by Dr.Doolittle »

Rest in peace Fast Eddie. You were a great competitor, friend, and leader.
My condolences to Marion and all the family.

Roy Andrassy, (Dr. Doolittle).
J Duda
Super Contributor

Post by J Duda »

I am very sorry to hear of Ed's passing. He was a special guy and was very helpful to me in my early days of racing.

My deepest condolences to the Smith family. May you rest in peace, my friend.

Jason D
Attachments
NATS CanadaTentPitCrew.JPG
NATS Joe-EdSmith-Terry Pits1.JPG
Terry Frazer
Super Contributor

Post by Terry Frazer »

Ed stayed at my house several times what a great friend I will truly miss him. RIP Terry
pastpres
Super Contributor

Post by pastpres »

Good memories of a great guy. Lloyd
mikecondon
Super Contributor

Post by mikecondon »

Ed is in the top 3 of guys who are the friendliest most comfortable guys to be around ...and I don't know who the other 2 are!!!
Dave N
Super Contributor

Post by Dave N »

Rest in Peace Ed.. He always had a positive way of stirring up conversations that needed to happen. We didn't always agree, but I always respected him. Condolences to the Smith family.. I think I first met him at Rockford, IL.. That was always a fun race to go to.
www.ncplracing.org
DHG
Super Contributor

Post by DHG »

So sorry to hear this. Ed was a great competitor, innovative thinker, great contributor to on-line discussions during the formative years of Q40, and always a good friend. RIP Ed, condolences to the Smith family. He will be missed.

Duane Gall
23F
Tied for 1st going into Round 1